Why Florida drivers are the worst

Hoffmannpersonalinjury.com

Hoffmannpersonalinjury.com

Marley Burwell, Features Editor

In the great state of Florida, a lot of people live here. Old and young, most people drive. Roads are always busy with cars and it can get very frustrating to drive. Sometimes when you observe the actions of other drivers, you wonder how they ever even got their license. There are a lot of reasons why Florida drivers are actually the worst.

One reason is the old people. I feel like it would be common sense that if you can barely see and are lacking in quick reflexes then you should not drive, but I guess that’s too much to ask for. It is unreal how many car accidents are caused by the elderly. Around 2014, 14 million Americans aged 18 to 64 were estimated to be involved in accidents caused by drivers aged 65 and over. They don’t pay attention and they make poor decisions. Also, they drive so slowly. It’s just as dangerous to go too slow as it is to go too fast. If an 81-year-old tells you that it’s safe for them to drive, they are lying.

The lack of turn signal usage is ridiculous. Driving on East Lake Road is already scary enough, but when you have a maniac swerving in and out of traffic without a turn signal it’s straight-up terrifying. At an intersection when you can make a turn or go straight, a turn signal is essential to let the people turning left know when it is safe to go. Left has to yield to people going straight and the people going left can’t go until they know it’s safe. If they wait too long, they get honked at, which is just rude.

Pro tip for all drivers: a stop sign means stop. Some people don’t seem to have that word in their vocabulary. The number of times someone has blown a stop sign and I have had to break has been ridiculous. The same thing goes for red lights. Just this morning, I was turning out of my neighborhood and my light was green and the people on Tampa Road had a red light. That didn’t stop this person from going even though it was illegal for them to do so.

So many people in Florida love to go over the speed limit. For some people, a 50 mph speed limit means go 65 mph. That is not okay. It’s dangerous and annoying. It’s mostly high schoolers soccer moms and men with big trucks that just love to speed. Speeding can cause traffic accidents a lot. In a study that looked at vehicle crashes from 2005 to 2014, it was found that speeding was the main factor in 112,580 deaths. When someone is speeding they typically tailgate, which can lead to a rear-ending very easily. For your information, you are not cool for going 15 miles-per-hour over the speed limit.

Everyone I have ever met from another state says that Florida has the worst drivers. It is honestly not hard to believe. With the vast population, bad drivers are inevitable. A big problem is that people seem to entitled. They break laws and make life hard. So basically, don’t be a jerk and drive safely.

• Why Florida drivers are the worst

• Why Florida drivers are the worst

• Why Florida drivers are the worst

• Why Florida drivers are the worst

• Why Florida drivers are the worst

• Why Florida drivers are the worst

• Why Florida drivers are the worst

• Why Florida drivers are the worst

• Why Florida drivers are the worst

• Why Florida drivers are the worst

Why Florida drivers are the worst