Product review: online school

This logo will haunt students for years to come.

Sean Cunningham, Features Editor

After having reviewed a vast array of products over my time on staff this year, I feel it fitting to conduct my next review on a product (or overall service in this case) that is “with the times” as the kids say. So, for today’s product review, I will be exploring the service that has been online school, and how it has fared over these past two months.

Foremost, the online schooling system is split into a myriad of sub-categories, websites, and applications based on which class a student chooses to do work in. I personally have had to submit or complete work in at least three websites I was not using for that purpose whatsoever beforehand, but the biggest offenders are easily Teams and Zoom. Teams, the application in which classwork is assigned and turned in, was a hot mess to learn. Even now I find myself struggling to navigate it, although that may partially be due to my lack of desire to do schoolwork in the first place. Teams has been quite the tiresome application, but it has received nowhere near the amount of backlash as the big boss of annoying online educational applications, Zoom. In short, Zoom is a glorified Skype that can be used to torture dozens of students all at once through tedious video chats. I myself have been subject to quite a few of these Zoom calls, and everyone just seems to get worse than the last. These two applications always seem to get in my way of having a perfectly school-free day, and I abhor them for that. In that case, now that I think about it, the main issue with online school might simply be my motivation. Regardless, the service earns a solid 2/10 would not recommend.