Keep calm and don’t (always) wash your hands

Wash with care and be aware!

Here we have a little girl who just got A bit too excited when playing in the dirt. (Photo was taken by Blogs Of Bridesire.)

Sarah Thompson, Staff Writer

Everyone knows that when you go out in public nowadays the first thing you want to do is to thoroughly clean your hands, but what about when you just go on a short walk around the neighborhood, pet the stray cat, who knows maybe even play in the dirt? What if only washing your hands after certain activities is the true way to stay healthy during these troubling times? Many people know that as a child getting dirt actually helped them years to come, by building up their immune system, what if that could still be said but for adults and teens? If you wash your hands after being out in public that should be done, but if you only get a little dirty and it’s not from socializing, maybe just keep your hands dirty a little longer. Humans were made so that exposure to viruses actually lets our body prepare to fight it off so you don’t need to worry about it later. In the article “Parents Should Let Kids Eat Dirt. It’s Good for the Biome,” Joshua A. Krisch goes on to state, “One fascinating study in Pediatrics found that children who suck their thumbs and bite their nails (essentially placing bits of dirt and millions of bacteria in their mouths regularly) are significantly less likely than their peers to suffer from dog, cat, mold, dust, or grass allergies.” So eating dirt has already been proven to help build up your immune system even if it’s only a small amount.

Many suspect that just like showering, you can do it too much; when you shower you’re removing many of your healthy oils and bacteria. Melinda Ratini; a member of the WebMD medical review team, is one of those people. “Antibacterial soaps can kill too much bacteria, including the good kind. This can allow bad bacteria that’s resistant to antibiotics to move in,” she states in an article called “Common Showering and Bathing Mistakes.” Also, too much of that causes itchy and dry skin, which allows for bacteria to enter your body more easily. The same can be said for washing your hands, and unlike showers it’s not once or twice a day.

A place where strict rules about keeping clean is school; they have hand sanitizer machines in almost every building and have many new rules. Since the school is a public place, hand washing should be done, but it’s being blown out of proportion. Junior Logan Mccord believes that the school system is doing too much. “I think people are going way too out of hand on this, I think the school should stop restricting us so much, it’s not healthy,” he states. The school has many policies in place, but the biggest one is “6 feet apart.” However, what if that’s putting our health at risk even? Humans are social creatures by nature and being separated from our friends can be hard and cause people’s mood to go way down, making us lonely and feel isolated, which has been proven to cause the immune system to weaken. In the article “Human connection bolsters the immune system. That’s why it’s more important than ever to be kind” written by Sarah Kaplan, it is mentioned that “Simply thinking about a supportive person can activate a part of the brain called the ventromedial prefrontal cortex, which is associated with overcoming fear. Scientists call this the buffering effect.’ The sense of security that people get from their friends and family allows them to meet stressful situations with a ‘calmer physiology,’…This, in turn, can lead to a stronger immune system.” Since the occasional hug of human contact can fix our decrease in mood, even increasing our immune system, is it a risk school is willing to make to keep their students healthy and safe?