Is procrastination really the end of the world?

Taylor Thompson

I even procrastinated turning in this article!

Taylor Thompson, Staff Writer

Procrastination, like a disease that people all over the world suffer. You can tell yourself you’re going to do whatever it is you have to do super early to get it done, and then when it comes to it you put it off and say you’ll do it later. Later eventually comes and you’ve put it off so much you no longer have enough time to finish it. In school, it’s a horrible habit yet many students suffer from the alluring act.

Taking AP classes makes it so much worse. They’re much more demanding courses that have a lot more work to do at home then let’s say, an honors course. However, the more demanding work, at least for me, leads to even more procrastination. The harder you know the work will be, the less you’ll want to do it, so someone prone to put things off will often put the harder things off even longer.

A great example for myself is my AP 2D art portfolio that consists of fifteen finished pieces that is to be turned in on Monday. Currently, I have 12 finished pieces and only a couple days to have three more finished pieces done and submitted online. That class has definitely seen my worst procrastination, as I’d rather do my calculus work than do a finished and good drawing. It’s something you always hear not to do, and things would be much easier and a lot less stressful if they were done ahead of time. That being said, I’m here to say that even though procrastination is not a good strategy, I survived high school with a majority of my grades being A’s and if not they were a B and I’ve put off pretty much every assignment I’ve received in the past four years until the very last minute. So while it’s a horrible habit to have, it is still possible to get things done, even with strained time.