The new MacBook Pro

Out with the old and in with the new!

The+MacBook+Pro+promo+photos+%28Apple.com%29+

The MacBook Pro promo photos (Apple.com)

Lauren McCloy, Staff Writer

Now, I know I just spent $600 on the AirPods Max- but life just seems to be telling me; “Hey! Might as well get all new Apple products while you are at it!” About a week after my big purchase, my five-yea- old MacBook decided to finally take a long sleep. And I’m thinking the same thing; five years isn’t that long for that expensive item to die. But I guess I worked her to the core, I use my computer almost 24/7. I even carry it around with me at school. I was devastated, but luckily I was going out of town the day I found out. That marked the first time I have ever traveled without my laptop, a day for the books. And this week away from home, I discovered that the brand-new MacBook Pro, 14 inch was to be put out on October 25, 2021. And I just knew I had to have it.

I’m no money machine, but I do have a job so I’m very thankful for my savings to be able to aid me in such a big money spending decision. It was either spend $300 to fix my old MacBook or just buy a new one. And since college is just a skip and a jump away, I decided to take a leap of faith and just go for it. But that number is absolutely terrifying- $1,999.00 … Not even I had prepared myself for that. But thankfully students got a discount at Apple so it dropped it down to about $1,500 instead. Apple released two models of this computer, the 16 inch and the 14 inch. Apple also goes back to some design elements of earlier MacBook Pro models, making it more convenient to the owner as it has a series of features that the minimal models were missing. The touch bar is gone, which was said to “place controls right at the user’s fingertips” but it just got in the way. And the removal of useful ports seems to be a thing of the past as well. Joining three Thunderbolt 4 USB-C connections are a full-sized HDMI port, a MagSafe power connection, a high-impedance headphone jack and an SD card reader. The holy grail of ports. Another feature is the 14.2-inch LED screen (Apple calls it Liquid Retina XDR Display) is another highlight, you can always turn your brightness up and down, but this gives you the decision to make it as bright as you would like it to be.

Both notebooks still look like MacBook Pros, with sleek unibody aluminum cases, and you can choose from gray or silver. So the rose gold that so many know and love is not an option. Though there is not much of a difference, it did take me a solid fifteen minutes to choose. I ended up going with the gray, though! They’re slightly thicker, with more bulked edges that are a big throwback back to Apple’s notebooks from the 2000’s. Reminds me of my first generation MacBook! Overall this MacBook runs amazingly, the camera is one that can compare to an iPhone, which is practically unheard of in the older MacBook generations. Sure, it is a big money decision, but this computer is life changing for me personally.

All in all, if you need a new computer, you don’t have to buy the newest model, but if you do… try out the new MacBook Pro 2021!