Welcome Baseball Coach Dan Genna

Jordan Patton, Staff Writer

Coach Dan Genna is looking forward to coaching the ELHS baseball team. “We are excited to have Dan Genna as a member of our coaching staff,” says East Lake High School Assistant Principal Carmela Haley. There were over 50 applications for the job. “It was extremely stiff competition, but we thought coach Genna had the experience as well as the passion,” said former ELHS baseball coach Lee Byers. Genna is one of the most respected baseball coaches in the county. He answered a few questions so readers can know his plans for a future with ELHS.

What were your previous coaching positions like?
“I was assistant coach at Tarpon Springs High for two years and then late became the head coach for seven years. I was an assistant coach at Palm Harbor University for about a year. I was also the athletic director for three years at Guardian Angel Catholic School. Then I went to Bartow High for about two years.

What do you hope to accomplish with the team this year?

“I hope to have more discipline and commitment. I’d also like to see an increase in the competition.”

How will the team be different than it was in its previous years?

“I’d like to have the team a little more structured and organized, with a little more team work.”

Who do you think will be your toughest opponents?

“Clearwater and Saint Pete Catholic. Both teams have similar ball club like ours, very competitive.”

What are your predictions for the ELHS team this year?

“Winning is the overall goal but it is a bi product of discipline and commitment.”