Under Armour All America Game

Jimmy Skaaland, Staff Writer

The Under Armour All America game was a showcase for some of the nation’s top high school senior football players and was held on January 5th at Tropicana Field.  The highly publicized event drew a large crowd with big name coaches, players and even a musician.  The game was also broadcast nationally on ESPN.

The game featured a Red Team and White Team; the first half got off to a slow start but was more than made up for with an explosive second half and a last second field goal to win the game.

The No. 1-ranked high school quarterback in the nation, UF-bound Jeff Driskel, proved himself by putting Red in front 21-9 with a 63-yard touchdown run. The 6-4, 225-pounder finished with 93 yards rushing on six carries.

FSU fans also got to see safety Karlos Williams for the first time and he impressed with an interception which he ran back 47 yards, through numerous tacklers, for a touchdown.

Players who committed to schools during the game include; RB/WR/KR Quan Bray to Auburn, DE  Xzavier Dickson to Alabama, Devon Blackmon to Oregon, WR Jabari Gorman to Florida, CB Doran Grant  to Ohio State, DE Greg Townsend to USC, and Robenson Therezie to Auburn.

The MVPs were Miami bound defensive end Anthony Chickillo for the Red Team, and LSU bound wide receiver Jarvis Landry for the White Team. Chickillo had four tackles, 1.5 sacks, and a fumble recovery while Landry had eight catches for 70 yards and scored on a 13-yard pass play.