NBA Rookie of the Year

Peter Drulias, Staff Writer

With the 2010-2011 basketball season underway, they are now approaching the All-Star game which signifies the halfway mark of the season.  Even though there is a lot of hype surrounding the All-Star game and who will be nominated to play in it, this is the time when people start to talk about the NBA’s Rookie of the Year. As of right now there are only two candidates to consider winning the award, the Clippers’ Blake Griffin and the Wizards’ John Wall.

Blake Griffin, fresh out of Oklahoma University, in most people’s eyes is the more deserving player for this award. Not only does he make ridiculous highlights dunking on people but he is also the cornerstone of his team. As of late the Clippers have been winning more games; they started well under a .500 winning pct but now are creeping back to being even. They are currently at 17-27 for the season, and you can thank Griffin for that. The Clippers’ power forward is a leader in most offensive abilities. He is averaging 22.8 ppg which ranks in the top 15 players in the league, and about 14 rebounds per game. Griffin puts up numbers like these for the fact he is constantly hustling and trying to make his team better.

On the other hand, you have rookie out of Kentucky John Wall, who entered the draft after his freshmen year. So far so good for the rookie, even though he is on a team with a losing record and was banged up for a little, he was still able to impress most with his play.  The rookie point guard is having a pretty solid year, averaging 15.8 ppg and about 10 assists, which makes him a worthy rookie to win the award. The only down side with Wall is that he hasn’t been able to lift his team or be able to carry a team like Griffin has been able to.

Every year it is always exciting to watch and see the upcoming stars in the NBA and you might be seeing two develop right in front of your eyes. The Rookie of the Year award is still up for grabs and only one can emerge victorious