Suspenseful Sunday at Augusta

Parker Fox, Staff Writer

Golf has four majors. The majors are what define your career and how you will be remembered, not your career winnings. The Masters is the greatest of these tournaments. The impeccable grounds at Augusta National have a magical feeling to them, knowing that every legend of the game has made that charge on the back 9 on Sunday afternoon and you’re walking on it. The 2011 Masters didn’t disappoint.
The storylines for this year’s Masters were plentiful, including the comeback of Tiger and young Rory Mcclroy’s dominance through 54 holes among others. A crop of young talent is growing up and is poised to take the game by storm, including Mcclroy, Rickie Fowler, and Jason Day, all of whom were in contention last weekend. Golf analysts claim they no longer fear Tiger Woods, but that remained to be seen on Sunday afternoon at Augusta. Tiger’s game was in form on the front 9 as he charged to a five under par 31, including a vintage Tiger fist pump after holing a putt for eagle. However, Tiger wasn’t quite able to take this kind of momentum into his back 9, carding just an even par 36, not good enough to win.
21-year-old Mcclroy saw his hopes of winning dashed on number ten when his youth and inexperience was finally exposed, making a triple bogey. Sophomore Sebastian Hilpl says, “I couldn’t believe when Rory blew up like that. To be so close in a major championship and to give it all away with just a few swings would be catastrophic.”
Charl Schwartzel of South Africa seemed to be getting all the breaks on Sunday, including a rare chip in and a hole out from the fairway. He birdied his last four holes coming down the stretch to finish –14 for the championship, besting Australians Adam Scott and Jason Day, who also had clutch performances coming down the stretch but came up just two shots short of Schwartzel.
“I’m glad that he won it instead of someone else losing it,” says sophomore Zach Wood. “Even though Rory fell apart he would have had to play well that day to win anyway, so I wouldn’t say he lost it. A collection of guys played some great golf and it was a fun one to watch,” adds Zach.
This Masters will go down as one of the best ever, simply because of all of the different storylines and all of the clutch performances on Sunday. The Masters is watched by not just golf enthusiasts, but sports fans in general. And they will be glad they chose to tune in on Sunday.