Amazing slide

Tyler Higbee, Staff Writer

On April 11, 2011, Tulepo High School (Miss.) and South Panola High School (Miss.) were in a heated battle on the baseball diamond. The two schools, who are normally known for their outstanding football play, are now being seen across the world for a play on the baseball field.

Trupelo athelete Caleb Walker came off the bench in to the game in the bottom of the 6th inning as he was sent to pinch run for a player at second base. His school was trailing by a run and they needed a big play to tie up the game. With the “big bat” of J.D. Roberts came to the plate everyone in the stands felt a big play coming on. CRACK! Roberts hit a hard ground ball through the left side of the infield and Walker went on the sound of the bat getting a good jump and rounded third and began to head for home. The Left Fielder from South Panola scooped up the ball and rocketed it home and appeared he had the runner (Walker) out by a 4 steps. Walker slid, saw the catcher try to put down the tag in front of home plate, then miraculously stuck his foot in the ground and jumped over the catchers stretched out body and landed on home plate. “Jackie Chan might teach that somewhere,” Walker’s teammate Connor Carothers told NBC affiliate WTVA. “I don’t know. Beyond Amazing”

Walker not realizing it at the time had changed the game completely. It was the big play his team was looking for. Trupelo added 5 more runs in the 6th inning and ended up winning the game 7-2 after shutting down South Panola in the 7th inning. “One of the greatest moments of my life,” Walker told WTVA.