Poulter tops Donald to win World Match Play championship

Parker Fox, Staff Writer

After winning the WGC Accenture World Match Play Championship in Marana, Arizona, Luke Donald was being called the best match play golfer in the world.  He was able to reach the finals yet again in Sunday’s Volvo World Match Play Championship in Spain.  But Ian Poulter, also known as one of the best match players in the world, knocked off Donald in 17 holes.

“I just kind of hung in there and you just need a bit of momentum,” said Poulter, “I think experience was crucial.”  Poulter is not known for his length off the tee, and was even out driven by notorious short-hitting Donald.  But what he lacks in length he compensates with a world-class short game.  Poulter got up and down several times coming down the stretch to stay in the contest, before sinking a few long putts to slip ahead of Donald.  Poulter birdied his last three holes.

“I just ran out of steam a little bit,” said Donald, who made only one birdie against Poulter. “I really didn’t play well. I had some opportunities on the greens that I usually can do in my sleep. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth.” 

Poulter didn’t necessarily have his “A” game either.  “I didn’t play my best, but I played the right shots at the right times,” said Poulter, “It’s a very special day.”

Poulter upset golf fans when he made this statement in January 2008, “Don’t get me wrong, I really respect every professional golfer, but I know I haven’t played to my full potential and when that happens, it will be just me and Tiger.” 

“I haven’t liked him since he said that,” says sophomore Zach Wood, who plays on the golf team.  “He is so cocky and not really that good.  Donald would beat him nine out of ten times.”

Donald had yet another opportunity to become world number one with a win.  Donald failed to capitalize in a playoff against Brandt Snedeker at the Heritage.  Critics say Donald lacks passion and plays for a paycheck, but Donald silenced most of them when he won in Arizona.  With a win in the coming weeks, Donald would most likely de-throne current number one Lee Westwood.

In other news, Tiger Woods has officially dropped out of the top ten in the World Golf Rankings.  Woods hasn’t been outside the top ten since the week before the ’97 Masters.  He hopes to be able to play in the U.S. Open, but is still battling the MCL in his knee and is currently on crutches.