2011 varsity football preview

Jimmy Skaaland, Staff Writer

Unfortunately, the 2011 East Lake High School football team started out this year with a 10-17 preseason loss to Port Charlotte.  Despite this they were able to pull out a win against Clearwater Central Catholic this past week in their first regular season game this year.  Though this game had been scheduled to be played at CCC, it was moved to ELHS due to the football field at CCC being submerged from last week’s heavy rains. 

The 2011 Eagles were ranked 2nd in the bay area before the start of this season by the St. Pete Times.  “This was a cool thing to get ranked that high, especially above Plant High School, but it gives us all the more expectations to live up to.  We’ve got a lot of good players and the more we work together, the closer we get as a team,  which is what we are going to need to get through out tough schedule this year,”  said senior fullback, Tyler Carbonelli.    Many people are saying this could be the best varsity football team ELHS has ever had, partly due to that tough schedule Tyler was referring to, but it’s much too early to know how memorable this year’s team will be.  Though getting the win last week, East Lake seemed not to be clicking as they had in 7 on 7 tournaments over the summer; let’s hope this was just some first game butterflies.

The Eagles have an impressive roster, returning many starting players from last year including quarter back Pete DiNovo, wide receiver Artavis Scott, and running back Tyler Lane.  East Lake is also returning the majority of its offensive line and has the target of being the biggest offensive line in the county on its back.  The success in the running and passing game will be the offensive line,  everyone knows Tyler Lane can run it up the middle, Pete DiNovo can  throw a great pass, and Artavis Scott can make the big plays, but if the Eagles’ line doesn’t open holes and give DiNovo enough time to connect with his targets, none of this matters.  How they play this week against division rival Countryside, who knocked the Eagles out of the playoffs last year, will be the best indicator of their ability so far.  No one is exactly sure how the Eagles will perform this year but they have the opportunity and skill to achieve great things.