Urban Liar?

Drake Rowland, Staff Writer

Urban Meyer has had an outstanding coaching career with highlights of his early career being at the University of Utah with his quarterback Alex Smith. Then he moved on to coach at the University of Florida, bringing them two national championships with his quarterback Tim Tebow. Tebow went on to play in the NFL and Meyer retired from coaching. Weird how he left twice after his star quarterback went to the NFL. He signed with Ohio State University in November.

Meyer’s reasons for his retirement were his declining health and the desire to spend more time with his family. Ironic that he wanted more time because after he retired he took a full time reporting job at ESPN. So the real question is in that one year did his health really get better? His reasons for his retirement leave a lot of Florida fans angry about the situation. Junior Mark Salem said, “I have lost all my respect for that man after a low move like this.” Meyer also said in an interview after retiring from Florida that he didn’t want to coach anywhere else and it would feel weird wearing different colors. It really hurt Gators also that he went to rival Ohio State; Meyer led the Gators to victory over the Buckeyes in the 2006 National Championship. There are also Gator fans that thank him for his time at Florida and all he brought to them. He brought numerous SEC championships and two National Championships. Junior Drew Putzel said, “I thank Urban for all he has done for our program and wish he well at OSU.”

Both cases are right. He did bring a lot of great things and times to Florida. I think his lies about why he retired and where he went really made Florida fans angry. It is very ironic he always leaves after his star leaves. It’ll be interesting to see how long he stays at Ohio State, maybe only three years until freshmen Braxton Miller graduates. He probably will bring success to Ohio State, which will also anger Florida.