ELHS football preview

Jimmy Skaaland, Staff Writer

This past football season was the best in our school history after going 9-4 and making it to the third round of the playoffs.  This was quite the accomplishment and something the seniors who led the team should be proud of, but with the graduation of many starting players the question to ask is how will the Eagles do next year?

Luckily the Eagles had a plethora of underclassman who got lots of reps this year under quality senior leaders and seem ready to take keep the team going in the right direction for next season.  Big County Preps ranked the top 50 underclassmen in the Bay area, and five Eagles made the list, the most of any Pinellas County school.  First was QB Pete DiNovo, ranked 7th on the list, after passing for 2426 yards and 19 touchdowns this past season.  Next was his favorite receiver, Artavis Scott ranked 9th, followed by OL Mason Cole 14th, S Devin Abraham 21st,  and ILB Brenden Goettel at 41st.  Also being recognized is Freshman LB George Campbell, who earned the highest honors, alongside Artavis Scott for respective grades, by being put on the Air Force Freshman All-American Team, while Scott made the 1st team Air Force All-American Sophomore Team.

Though there will be many gaps to fill due to graduation, such as RB Tyler Lane,  it seems coach Hudson and coach Claw have quite the talent pool to do so with.  Inevitably they will spend all spring preparing these, and many other, underclassman to come together as a dominant force for the 2012 season. 

And some last words to next year’s team from senior FB Tyler Carbonelli:  “It’s gonna take a lot of hard lifting and team work this off season to prepare for another run for the state championship. We set the expectations of the program high last season; there’s no doubt in my mind with the coaching staff and the players we have that East Lake can do it again and more. But it starts now. It’s never given, always earned.”