New holiday?

Drake Rowland, Staff Writer

Every February college football fans from around the country get excited, but most people would think February, what happens then? Actually it is one of the most important days in the college football world, National Signing Day. National Signing Day is the day where most big recruits sign their letter of intent to play college football. Coaches and fans wait for this day all year.

This year the number one wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham chose to play his college ball at Missouri. The Florida teams did really well as always in recruiting. Florida got three five stars and eleven four stars. Florida’s highlights were five stars D.J. Humphries, Dante Fowler, Jonathan Bullard, and Armwood High School’s Matt Jones. Florida State got two five stars along with ten four stars, and Miami got two five stars and eight four stars. Florida State’s highlights were Mario Edwards and Eddie Goldman. Miami’s highlights were Tracy Howard and Randy Johnson. Rivals.com, a major recruiting site ranked the schools’ recruiting classes; Florida was three, Florida State was eight, and Miami right behind them at nine. Junior Mark Salem said, “I think Florida’s recruiting class will really help them in the upcoming years.”

Every year is very interesting and intriguing because most recruits give verbal offers to school and end up switching them when they sign their letter of intent. Coaches must get really angry when this happens, and it seems to be happening more and more. This year a five star stud Dante Fowler switched his decision from Florida State University to Florida University. This made Florida fans extremely happy while it left the Noles upset. That’s why National Signing Day is such a big deal because once they commit they can’t change their mind unless they transfer.

Many recruits joke around when they announce where they plan on playing college football. This year a Georgia recruit had a little bulldog when he made his announcement. Others in the past have almost chosen a hat but then switched completely to a different hat. Another thing they’ve done is had the hat in their lap and not on the table and surprise people. Every year it is funny to watch to see what the recruits do.

For the college football world National Signing Day is the future of the college programs. It is by far the most important day for college football programs. Whether it’s getting a couple five stars or just load up on three and four stars, every team has their strategy in the recruiting world. Junior Danny Havican said, “I hope these players pan out. Some of the past recruits have been busts.” It will be fun to watch how many of these freshmen make an impact right away.