Race for the Heisman

Drake Rowland, Sports Editor

There is no denying that the Heisman Trophy is the most prestigious award that college football gives away. At the ceremony, all of the returning Heisman winners are there to induct the newest member into the group. Every year it has been a close race, but there is normally a clear cut favorite. This year, however, there is no favorite and no one is dominating the college football scene.

The “leader” is probably Kansas State  senior quarterback Collin Klein. He has thrown over 1,800 yards, with 12 touchdowns and only two interceptions. Kansas State has been shocking the college football landscape being 9-0 ranked number two in the BCS polls. The player right behind him is Oregon’s running back Kenjon Barner, also a senior.  Barner has rushed for almost 1,300 yards, with 19 touchdowns. He also has one receiving touchdown. Another player in the race is Ohio State’s quarterback Braxton Miller.  Only a sophomore, he is the most versatile quarterback in all of college football. Miller has passed for over 1,700 yards, with 14 touchdowns and six interceptions. He has also run for over 1,100 yards and has 13 rushing touchdowns. Norte Dame’s linebacker Manti Te’o, a senior, is the only defensive player even getting consideration for the Heisman. He has 87 tackles, five interceptions and one fumble recovery. He is definitely the leader of the defense and his leadership is a big reason he is up for the Heisman.

With only three seniors in the race, it shows how many of the talented collegiate players are leaving early for the NFL. Hopefully some of the talented players that could end up winning next year’s Heisman stay around. With only two more weeks left in the regular season and then a conference championship for most of the players, they only have three weeks left to state their claim as to why they are deserving of this award.