Better late than never

Better late than never

Wiggins, who averaged 23.4 points per game, will be playing college ball at Kansas.

Drake Rowland, Sports Editor

There was much anticipation going into the 2013 college basketball season with a spectacular recruiting class coming in, but the number one player in the nation waited until May 14th to announce his decision. Andrew Wiggins, the best player in the country– some say the next LeBron –has chosen to play his college basketball at Kansas University. He had offers from just about every school, but he narrowed it down between FSU, Kansas, and Kentucky ultimately choosing Kansas.

Wiggins played at Huntington Prep Express during his four years in high school. His senior team went 30-3 and Wiggins averaged 23.4 points, 2.5 assists, 11.1 rebounds, 2.4 steals, and 2.6 blocks a game. Those are ridiculous stats considering that high school games are only 32 minutes long. The 6’7 small forward will have an immediate impact on not only the Kansas Jayhawks but college basketball itself. He scored 750 points his senior year, which is more than most players will even score in a career. Senior Dylan Yasso said, “I really thought Wiggins was going to decide to go to FSU but I guess he liked Kansas better.”

He is the projected number one overall pick for the 2014 NBA draft. One GM in the NBA said that Wiggins could start on just about every team that didn’t have an all-star small forward. Many people have compared him to LeBron in size and skill, which is a very nice compliment. Senior Mark Salem said, “I don’t know if Wiggins is as good as LeBron, but I am very excited to see him ball on the collegiate level.”

As offseason workouts start in a few months people will be watching to see if Wiggins can come in and mesh with the team right away. If Wiggins has a decent season he will more than likely be the first player to hear his name called at the 2014 NBA draft. Bill Self is definitely saying that the Wiggins signing is better late than never.