Spring football: the grind

A great quote from a truly great player.

Sandy Hutchins, Staff Writer

At ELHS, playing football is one of the biggest commitments you can make. Not only is it the sport that arguably gets the most attention from the school, and the one that receives the most student participation, but it is also one of the most competitive team sports in Florida. When it comes to rivalries it goes straight to football. Whether it be against Tarpon, Countryside, or PHU, the thing that comes to mind is the football game against them, and whether ELHS won or lost, most likely won. Due to so much attention and so much competition, being on the football team is a large commitment and cannot be taken likely. I quote Coach Daves to emphasize this: “If you want to be good, you go home, eat, do homework, and watch film, study football, and then sleep. If you want to be good, you don’t have a life right now.”

Playing on the football team is much more than the 2-3 month season. To give an idea of how much work goes into Friday nights, it starts in spring, around January to be precise. This is where we run and lift 4 days a week for 4 months. After the workouts in April, we start to hit; this time we spend 3 hours, 5 days a week for a month hitting each other in preparation of one spring game, three quarters to be exact as we let the JV team play the last quarter. This year, we’re playing River Ridge High School on the 19th of May. After these 5 months of working week after week, we get a break right after the end of school for a week, after which we go for the rest of summer with workouts similar to spring except at 8 AM. Finally, after a week off at the end of summer comes a handful of two-a-days and then the season starts, where we go 4 days a week then a game on Friday for up to 4 months. After our season ends comes the Holy Grail, a rest for 1-2 months and then the cycle begins again, thus becomes the grind.

However, on Friday nights all this work is worth it as you realize all the people at the field are there for you and it’s a great feeling. All this work does have a reason too; this work ethic is the reason we have been so successful in the last 7 years at ELHS.

• Spring football: the grind

• Spring football: the grind

• Spring football: the grind

• Spring football: the grind

• Spring football: the grind

• Spring football: the grind

• Spring football: the grind

• Spring football: the grind

• Spring football: the grind

• Spring football: the grind

Spring football: the grind