Week 1: college football craziness

College football season is back and it's starting with a bang

Advertisement made by Marvel Comics in anticipation of the college football season starting.

Photo provided by Marvel Comics

Photo provided by Marvel Comics

Jackson Rowland, Staff Writer

It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and no it’s not Christmas. College football is almost back and the first week presents us with some of the most exciting matchups of the whole season, the likes of which are only seen again during the playoffs. The preseason rankings have recently been released, which only adds to the hype surrounding Week 1 games. Many teams are looking to justify their ranking or prove why they should be ranked higher and many fans are eager to see how their team will fare in the new season.

Miami and Boston College will go toe-to-toe, two unranked teams looking to prove themselves early on. A Sam Darnold-led USC faces off against Western Michigan, a team that went undefeated last regular season. Both teams will be looking to carry on spectacular performances from last season. Both 12th ranked Auburn and the 13th ranked LSU Tigers are looking forward to securing Week 1 wins to prepare themselves for their much tougher in-conference opponents a few weeks down the road.

Week 1 also provides fans with three games that involve two ranked opponents. 22nd ranked West Virginia faces 21st ranked Virginia Tech in a very close proximity rivalry game that is bolstered by the teams’ close rankings. 11th ranked Michigan plays a weakened 17th ranked Florida in a game that has received quite a bit of attention in the news lately. Seven UF players have been suspended for the first game, including star receiver Antonio Callaway, due to a violation of school policy. Although UF is missing a few players, the game is still highly anticipated due to the status and rankings of the two teams. Perhaps the biggest match of Week 1 is the 3rd ranked FSU against 1st ranked Alabama. Florida State boasts many stars including an impressive sophomore quarterback, Deondre Francois. This game also marks the return of star safety Derwin James, who missed all last season due to an injury. Alabama always impresses, boasting the number 1 ranking in all of college football. They also return sophomore quarterback Jalen Hurts and stud running back Bo Scarbrough. The game is sure to impress. It airs prime time, 8:00 PM EST on Saturday, September 2nd on ESPN.

• Week 1: college football craziness

• Week 1: college football craziness

• Week 1: college football craziness

• Week 1: college football craziness

• Week 1: college football craziness

• Week 1: college football craziness

• Week 1: college football craziness

• Week 1: college football craziness

• Week 1: college football craziness

• Week 1: college football craziness

Week 1: college football craziness