Heisman watch

Heisman watch

Who are the favorites to take home the biggest individual award in college football this year?

Photo provided by CNN.com

Photo provided by CNN.com

Photo provided by CNN.com

Cole Mansfield, Staff Writer

With the start of football season comes the start of conversation about who will claim the most sought after individual trophy in college football this year, the Heisman Trophy. There are many great athletes that will make the Heisman race very competitive, including Lamar Jackson, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield, Jalen Hurts, Saquon Barkley, and Derrius Guice.

Louisville quarterback Lamar Jackson had an incredible season last year and was able to win the Heisman Trophy. He returns this year as a junior and hopes to go back-to-back and win the Heisman Trophy again. Jackson racked up 3543 yards last year along with 30 touchdowns. Jackson hasn’t missed a step since last season as in this year’s season opener he went 30 for 46 with 378 yards and two touchdowns. Only one player, Archie Griffin, has ever won the award twice, but if Jackson keeps playing like this he could become the second.

USC quarterback Sam Darnold has been the early favorite by many to take home the hardware this year. After throwing for 3086 yards and 31 touchdowns last year, it is no surprise he is many people’s favorite. In USC’s season opener against Western Michigan Darnold went 23 for 33 for 289 yards, but threw no touchdowns and two interceptions. Darnold will surely be in the conversation for the trophy this year.

After placing third in Heisman voting last season, Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield hopes to take home the trophy this year in his senior season. Last year Mayfield threw for an astounding 3965 yards and 40 touchdowns. Though he did lose star wide receiver for Dede Westbrook, Mayfield shows no signs of slowing down as shown in his impressive season debut where he went 19 for 20 for 329 yards and three touchdowns.

After impressing many in his freshman season last year, Alabama quarterback Jalen Hurts hopes to have an even better season this year. Hurts led his team to a victory in their season opener against a tough Florida State defense, going 10 for 18 for 96 yards and a touchdown. With his incredible athletic ability, it wouldn’t be surprising to see Jalen Hurts in New York at the end of the season.

Penn State running back Saquon Barkley has also been in talks as an early favorite to win the Heisman Trophy this season. After rushing for 1496 yards and 18 touchdowns last season, Barkley hopes to make those numbers even higher in his junior season. In Penn State’s season opener Barkley rushed for an impressive 172 yards and two touchdowns, averaging 12.3 yards per carry. If he can keep these numbers up all season he may be able to take home the trophy.

After emerging from the shadow of Leonard Fournette and getting starting minutes last year when Fournette was injured, LSU running back Derrius Guice proved that he is not only an apt substitute, but possibly even better. Despite not starting all of last season, Guice still managed to rack up 1387 yards and 15 touchdowns. This year with LSU’s new offensive coordinator Matt Canada, the LSU offensive style could allow for even better numbers for Guice this year.

When the ceremony comes around at the end of the season don’t be surprised if you see any of these names taking home the Heisman Trophy this year.

• Heisman watch

• Heisman watch

• Heisman watch

• Heisman watch

• Heisman watch

• Heisman watch

• Heisman watch

• Heisman watch

• Heisman watch

• Heisman watch

Heisman watch