Top 10 toughest atmospheres to play in college sports

Jacob Prail, Staff Writer

Home field is key to any team victory during the season, causing opponents to make mistakes they shouldn’t make. Here’s a list of the top 10 toughest atmospheres in college sports.

10. Allen Fieldhouse, Kansas Jayhawk basketball. The Jayhawks are one of the toughest places to play in college basketball. Even though it has a seating capacity of 16,300, the Fieldhouse feels much smaller on the inside. The student section is one of the best in basketball, making opponents scared to even leave the safety of the locker room. The opposing team comes out and sees the sign “Beware of the Phog.” Ironically, with its small arena feel, it is actually the second largest arena in the Big 12.

9. Kyle Field, Texas A&M Aggies Football. Welcome to the home of the 12th man. The Aggies have one of the best stadiums in the nation along with one of the largest. Able to hold 102,733 screaming Aggie fans, if you want proof just watch the A&M game when Johnny Manziel played Alabama.

8. Memorial Stadium, Clemson Tiger Football. Clemson popped on the scene with their college football team. The team has one of the best entrances in college football with the touching of the rock and running down the hill. But the 81,500 Memorial Stadium aka “Death Valley” is a tough place for an opposing QB, just ask Lamar Jackson.

7. Ohio Stadium, Ohio State Buckeye Football. The Shoe is a trademark of college football. Ohio State rarely loses in the shoe backed behind a crazy student body. The stadium also is built to keep sound in with its horseshoe stadium, making it louder than it should.

6. Rupp Arena, Kentucky Wildcat Basketball. Rupp Arena is home to 23,000 screaming wildcat fans. Kentucky has 561 wins at home opposed to only 66 losses, which gives them a .8947 win percentage at home, making them one of the best teams at home in college sports.

5. Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, Florida Gators Football. “The Swamp” is very tough to play in with the 88,548 fans giving the Gator chomp as the opponents enter. Not only that, but Florida has one of the best fan bases in the country, full of many die-hard fans.

4. Lane Stadium, Virginia Tech Hokies Football. This team was ranked with the number one home field advantage in 2005. Even though that was 12 years ago, if you watched the Clemson game, you see how rowdy these fans can get. With “Enter Sandman” by Metallica, the crowd goes absolutely berserk as the team enters. With 66,000 plus jumping on their feet, it’s hard not to be intimidated by this entrance.

3. The Big House, Michigan Wolverine Football. The Big House is one of the largest stadiums in the United States, holding a capacity of 107,601 Wolverine fans. If your team gets stuck in a primetime, college game day type of game, don’t expect to leave with a victory.

2. Bryant Denny Stadium. Alabama Crimson Tide Football. With a capacity of 101,821 fans chanting “Roll tide Roll” and stomping their feet, Alabama hardly ever loses at home.

1. Cameron Indoor, Duke Blue Devil Basketball. Now what can beat 101,000 fans? A passionate 9,000 at Duke. The Cameron Crazies can bring any team to its knees, as they can almost touch players on the sidelines. If you want to see watch a Duke UNC game. Duke is impossible to beat at home, only losing a total of 10 times at home in the last ten years.

• Top 10 toughest atmospheres to play in college sports