Alabama dynasty

Alabama has dominated college football for the past decade under coach Nick Saban.

Alabama dynasty

Alabama head coach Nick Saban holding up the 2013 BCS National Championship trophy.

Cole Mansfield, Staff Writer

When you hear the word dynasty, a few things may come to mind: the Roman Empire, the Mongols, or the Alabama Crimson Tide college football team. In the past decade Alabama has dominated the college football world under outstanding head coach Nick Saban. As an LSU fan, I have felt the wrath of Nick Saban’s Alabama team firsthand as they play every year and are one of their biggest rivals, but whether you love them or hate them -and I really hate them- it’s hard to not acknowledge Nick Saban and Alabama’s impressive stats over the past decade.

After a mediocre 6-7 season in 2006, which now sounds like a fictitious record for the program, Alabama was looking for a new coach and found one in ex-Miami Dolphins coach Nick Saban. It was soon clear they made the right decision; in just his second season as coach Nick Saban carried the team to a 10-2 season and won the difficult SEC West division. This was the start of an incredible string of years for the Crimson Tide as Saban went undefeated his very next season and won his first championship at Alabama in 2009. After this the Tide just kept on rolling, winning consecutive championships in 2011 and 2012. Saban has also dominated the toughest division in the NCAA at Alabama, winning four of the past five SEC Championships. “The past two years I thought the Gators were going to be something special. Both times they made it to the SEC Championship, ready to take the SEC by storm, and then Bama happened and tore all our dreams to shreds,” says Florida Gators fan Jackson Rowland. I felt the same pain in the 2011 season after I was elated that my favorite team the LSU Tigers had beaten a tough Alabama team in the regular season and went on to an undefeated season, only to get shutout 21-0 by Alabama in the championship. Many college football fans know the feeling of dread when you see Alabama on your team’s schedule and fear that their high-powered offense and elite defense will end your team’s hopes of a perfect season. Much of Saban’s success comes from his superior recruiting skills; in his ten years he has had a recruiting class ranked in the top five every year including an impressive number one ranking in seven of these years. From Mark Ingram to Eddie Lacy to Derrick Henry and now Jalen Hurts, every year Alabama finds some new incredible athlete to lead the team, and those are only a few names on the list of first round NFL talent from Alabama under Nick Saban, who doesn’t seem to be slowing down anytime soon. So far this season the Crimson Tide are undefeated and have dominated their opponents, outscoring them by an impressive 190 points throughout six games.

Nick Saban has created a dynasty at Alabama that may even surpass that of Alabama great Bear Bryant before he is done. So far Saban has won four titles and five SEC Championships in just ten years at Alabama. Saban has already had so many accomplishments and shows no sign of slowing down; he may one day be regarded as the greatest college football coach of all time. There is no doubt that for as long as Nick Saban is there, Alabama will be a team that is feared throughout the college football world.

• Alabama dynasty

• Alabama dynasty

• Alabama dynasty

• Alabama dynasty

• Alabama dynasty

• Alabama dynasty

• Alabama dynasty

• Alabama dynasty

• Alabama dynasty

• Alabama dynasty

Alabama dynasty