A tale of two seasons

Proud Browns fans celebrate their team’s perfect season with a parade.

Photo provided by Reddit

Antonio Amram, Staff Writer

This was quite the football season, with not one but two (or three if you count the NFL Preseason) perfect seasons. The University of Central Florida Knights went 13-0, declaring themselves National Champions. And the amazing, once-in-a-generation, sensational Cleveland Browns went a perfect 0-16, which is something Mrs. Barbieri and all the other Browns fans should probably avoid thinking about for a little bit. Adding insult to injury, the Browns went undefeated in the four game NFL preseason, which only worsened the disappointment those poor, disillusioned Browns fans who thought that the preseason would be in any way indicative of their season.

Now, I don’t follow college football, and I don’t know all of the intricacies and nuances of its inner workings, but I’m fairly certain that you have to first be in the National Championship game and then win said Championship game in order to declare yourselves “National Champions.” But evidentially I know nothing, as the UCF Knights held a “National Championship” parade to celebrate their perfect, 13-0 Peach Bowl-winning season (wait that’s a thing?). However, even with my limited knowledge of college football, I know that the prestigious Peach Bowl is nothing compared to the National Championship. Sorry, the actual National Championship. Maybe next year, UCF. Maybe next year.

Speaking of “maybe next year,” that continues to be the Cleveland Browns’ mantra. After their electrifying 4-0 preseason that had everybody thinking that maybe Deshone Kizer wasn’t a horrible pick, the Browns went on a nearly unprecedented run of a whopping zero wins over sixteen games. Single-handedly supporting Ohio’s paper bag industry, Browns fans all over Cleveland came out for a “Perfect Season Parade.” Now that’s true loyalty. While some Browns players were offended and upset about their fans so openly mocking them, these were the same players that failed to deliver a win all season. Adding even more humiliation to the perfectly imperfect season, Head Coach Hue Jackson said that he would jump in Lake Erie if the team went 1-15 (as they did in the 2016-17 season). While he technically did not fail on his promise to not go 1-15, he still said he’d honor his bet. In spite of his perfect record, the Browns gave Jackson a new contract to continue to build the team. Heck, I could get zero wins in a season. Where’s my contract?

This fall was either amazing (if you cheered for the UCF Knights) or an almost impossible low (if you cheer for what is generally regarded as the worst team in the country). But if you’re angry about UCF’s playoff snub, or the crying about the Browns’ winless season, just remember: there’s always next year (although, Browns fans: don’t get your hopes up. We all know how that draft is going to go).

• A tale of two seasons

• A tale of two seasons

• A tale of two seasons

• A tale of two seasons

• A tale of two seasons

• A tale of two seasons

• A tale of two seasons

• A tale of two seasons

• A tale of two seasons

• A tale of two seasons

A tale of two seasons