An athlete's special moment

East Lake has a proud tradition of athletes from a variety of sports signing on Signing Day.

Ian Woodward, Staff Writer

Signing on National Signing day is a huge honor; every year athletes across the nation participate in National Signing Day, an event in which student athletes are presented in front of their peers to sign their national letters of intent to each of their future universities. Every year East Lake High School has a plethora of athletes signing from each of their respected sports, and this year I am happy to say that I myself will be one of the athletes standing up on stage representing East Lake High School. This year the sports signing will include players from the football and soccer teams, as well as myself representing East Lake Club Lacrosse. East Lake is notorious for their athletics, always producing big time players to the next level, and this year will not disappoint.

National Signing Day has been going on since 1981 and to be participating in this historic moment I believe means a great deal to our community as well as our school. We all know every year when athletes take the stage to sign for their future there is an unspoken competition between schools each year to see which schools have more athletes signing every year; it is just the natural competitor inside all of us. East Lake last year had six athletes sign on signing day, each from track, football and soccer, and the year before we had six as well. For the past four years East Lake has had more than five athletes sign on the stage every year, and this year is expected to be no different.

With players’ senior seasons closing and many others opening, this year’s signing day story is going to be unique. What sets apart this year from the rest is East Lake’s club sports, as this year the club lacrosse team will be represented for the first time since its start back in 2010. Even though the club has produced many athletes in the past, this is the first year that the team’s player will be allowed by administration to sign amongst their peers. Being the only club athlete on that stage is going to be a big moment, one that have been looking forward to since my freshman year. This is a moment of achievement I’m sure that all the athletes will be looking forward to, including starting cornerback Josh Bowers.

Question: What does signing day mean to you?

Josh Bowers: Signing day means hard work and dedication, making my parents proud and giving back for something the supported me and pushed me for.

Overall, I’m unbelievably excited to see all the players continue their athletic careers into their universities, as well as see all of the East Lake student-body show their support. Congratulations athletes; you’ve earned it.

• A deep dive into East Lake’s signing day