Everything you wanted to know about discus

Where you can be part of the track team without having to run

Caught in action! As you can see here, I am trying
my best to maintain proper form and throw
 as far as possible. The discus ended up going 56 feet!

Caught in action! As you can see here, I am trying my best to maintain proper form and throw as far as possible. The discus ended up going 56 feet!

Victoria Valby, Staff Writer

When we think of volleyball team, we automatically think of the taller individuals. When we think of the soccer team, we think of those who are quick and strong kickers. And when we think of the track team, it is not uncommon to think solely of runners. However, just recently I was exposed to another side of the sport “track and field,” solely focusing on the “field” aspect of it all. The coach for East Lake High School, Mr. Maisner, was recruiting girls to come and throw discus, as there was nobody on the girls’ discus team. Not only had I never heard of it, but I never would have expected to enjoy it as much as I do.

Think of a pretty heavy Frisbee weighing 3 lbs. 9 ounces and then imagine having to throw it a good 60-70 feet. This is the world of discus. As of two weeks ago, I was not aware that this little flying saucer was an event for the track and field team, or that it existed at all. If you are looking for a sport that doesn’t require any running and where you pick the days and times you want to practice, you should consider throwing for the discus team next year. Senior Madi Sonnenberg and I decided that as we approached our final days as high schoolers, we should take every opportunity that comes our way and make the most of our time before graduation. Discus presented itself, and before we knew it, we were on the team. There is a surplus of girls on the team as of now- a whopping five people! Four get invited to the invitational track meets, so as you can imagine, the competitiveness has intensified. However, most of the meets allow for all of us to throw, making this sport yet again, more of a fun hobby than a stressful competition.

While the atmosphere is laid back with practices once or twice a week for about 45 minutes, the actual throwing of the discus is not the easiest of feats I must say. It is truly all about the form. And being that you hold the discus upside down, opposite of how one would hold a Frisbee, you rely solely on physics and the speed of your arm to swing it back and then forwards to release while not letting it fall. I did not trust this process for about a week, and I can assure you, the discus did not go very far. Trust the physics; trust it. Although it is optional, doing a detailed spin before launching the flying saucer has proven to be extremely beneficial in generating more momentum. It’s as if you do a little dance before each throw; I’m sure it is extremely amusing to watch. Whether you spin or not, how you grip the discus and your overall motions as a whole may vary, but the end goal remains the same- get that discus far out there and stay standing in the circle.

Feel free to come watch this event at the track meets, as it is extremely unique. The first meet is February 14th and the next one takes place on February 20th against our Palm Harbor University rivals. While many of you were probably unaware of what it was until now, your interest should be increasing. It is extremely fun and comes with a flexible schedule for those of who are consumed with homework, clubs, and other extracurriculars. It is a great way to be a part of the track team, especially if you are not a fan of running and it just means more athletic gear to wear around school- a win win!

• Everything you wanted to know about discus