Cavaliers’ roster purge

Cleveland makes some big moves at the trade deadline

LeBron having fun again winning with the new team.

Photo provided by espn.com

Cole Mansfield, Staff Writer

As the trade deadline was winding down, it seemed as though it would be a quiet day. That was until the Cleveland Cavaliers started making major moves and totally revamped their whole roster. After having a terrible stretch of games the past few weeks including a 32 point loss to Houston, letting up 148 points against the Thunder, and blowing a 21 point lead against the Magic, the team’s struggles seemed to be getting worse and worse and it was clear that the current squad wouldn’t be able to win a championship. This led to the Cavs’ roster purge at the trade deadline. Cleveland made multiple deals to completely change the team. In a deal with the Lakers they sent Isiah Thomas, Channing Frye, and a 2018 first round pick to LA in exchange for Jordan Clarkson and Larry Nance Jr. In a deal with the Heat the Cavs were able to send Dwyane Wade back to his home team of Miami in exchange for a 2022 second round pick. The Cavaliers also acquired George Hill and Rodney Hood and sent out Derrick Rose, Iman Shumpert, Jae Crowder, and a second round pick in a three team deal with the Utah Jazz and the Sacramento Kings. This trade seems to be Cleveland looking forward to the future, getting rid of many underperforming veteran stars in favor of younger players that still have many years to play. Since the big trade the Cavaliers have been 2-0, winning against tough opponents in the Celtics and the Thunder. As far as the traded players go, Dwyane Wade came back to Miami to resounding applause, Isiah Thomas scored 22 points in his first game for the Lakers, and Derrick Rose was waived by the Jazz. The Cavaliers look revitalized and have been playing better than they have in months. So though they’ve only played two games, it seems this may have been a successful trade for the Cavaliers pulling them out of their slump, but whether it will be enough to make them serious championship contenders this year, or perhaps more importantly whether it will be enough to keep LeBron in Cleveland when he becomes a free agent after this season, remains to be seen.

• Cavaliers’ roster purge

• Cavaliers’ roster purge

• Cavaliers’ roster purge

• Cavaliers’ roster purge

• Cavaliers’ roster purge

• Cavaliers’ roster purge

• Cavaliers’ roster purge

• Cavaliers’ roster purge

• Cavaliers’ roster purge

• Cavaliers’ roster purge

Cavaliers’ roster purge