Basketball on the rise

Chase Cantin, Staff Writer

America is a country that is built up on our sports teams. Almost every single person in the country has their favorite team for whatever sport they choose to select and currently most chose to dedicate their time to following the football scene. While I believe football will remain at the top for a while, these past years the NBA has been breaking out attracting fans by the thousands every year to tune into games. This isn’t just caused because people are bored of football; rather it is due to specific reasons that makes the NBA more appealing than any other sport.

I think the most interesting thing about basketball as a whole is the impact that an individual will have on a team. While there are greats at any sport who elevate themselves above others, in basketball the impact of these players is felt much more than in others. I believe the reason for this is all due to the fact that a basketball game is a 5 vs 5 match that allows for individuals to shine much more and stand out for their greatness. Because of this, fans are able to survey the NBA and pick their favorite players based on their play style and their off court attitudes. Speaking of off court attitudes the NBA has plenty of personalities to get behind. Media plays a much larger role in the NBA than in other sports thus their actions and attitudes off the court allows fans to get picture of who the player is as a person, giving them a stronger attachment to their favorite.

Another reason for basketball’s rise in popularity is due to the fact that anyone can play basketball outside of just watching it. People who aren’t actually on a team can still drive up to the park or the gym and play a quick game of pickup basketball with some random people. This is not the case with football, in order to properly play a game of football many players are needed as well as pads and equipment. The simplicity of basketball allows anyone to pick it up, practice on their own, and see themselves progress while they try to mimic their favorite player in the NBA.

According to analysts the NBA is experiencing massive growth in a relatively short period of time. As compared to other sports that are declining slightly. Plenty of the sports ratings stories lately have been about declines in the traditional viewing metrics, from the NFL to NASCAR to the Olympics, but that’s not the case with the NBA. The league has experienced a seven per cent jump in local ratings, with 17 of 30 teams rising there, and that trend is also obvious on a national scale. And what’s also interesting is that in contrast to many sports with aging viewer bases, the NBA continues to succeed with younger viewers. NBA TV continues to deliver its most-watched live game telecasts ever, averaging 354,000 viewers, +20% over last year’s comparable coverage. The network’s growth across key demos includes People 18-34 (+21%), People 18-49 (+27), People 25-54 (+26%), Men 18-34 (+17%), Men 18-49 (+27%) and Men 25-54 (+27%).

Basketball is still a few steps down the ladder from catching up to football, but going forward I believe that basketball is only going to continue to catch up where football has already hit its relative climax.

Websites referenced:

http://awfulannouncing.com/nba/nba-ratings-rise-younger-viewers.html

• Basketball on the rise

• Basketball on the rise

• Basketball on the rise

• Basketball on the rise

• Basketball on the rise

• Basketball on the rise

• Basketball on the rise

• Basketball on the rise

• Basketball on the rise

• Basketball on the rise

Basketball on the rise