The NCAA

This is more of a business than an athletic organization.

Jacob Prail, Staff Writer

Let me start off with that this is not an article about the good NCAA brings; it’s the opposite. The NCAA is a corrupt business and they use students-athletes for their own gain. Recently, The FBI, yes I said the FBI, revealed that NCAA collegiate basketball players were being bribed or paid on the side as incentive to come to their school. Now these aren’t accusations; these are facts. There is an entire spreadsheet posted on Yahoo!Sports and ESPN. Lonzo Ball has been quoted on saying “might as well make it legal,” referring to the illegal payment of college players. LeBron James has been quoted saying “the NCAA is corrupt” and Jalen Rose said the NCAA is run like a “cartel.” It’s the worst kept secret in college basketball and in sports in general, that college athletes are being paid on the side, but who is going to stop the NCAA? No one can.

The NCAA has been making a fortune off student- athletes. Football stadiums that can seat up to 100,000 people, big money TV deals. National Spotlight. What do these kids get in return? A scholarship, yes, but if your scholarship doesn’t cover everything, you are looking at possible going back to your dorm and not have food. Shabbazz Napier said back in 2014, “There’s hungry nights where I’m not able to eat.” He also won the NCAA basketball national championship with UCONN, but the comments forced the hand of the NCAA to address the issue. But this wasn’t the only time the NCAA had taken advantage of students. There was a case of student likeness used in NCAA collegiate sports video games, which resulted in the NCAA being forced to pay the former students for their likeness in the video games. The NCAA is going to have to do some things to help out students better in terms of college living. This is why players have to receive payments under the table. To make a better life for themselves in college.

So when the NCAA couldn’t help the students, the college basketball coaches are like,” we can.” Someone needs to explain to me how coaches can get away with transfer payments to the player of 7 grand, which go unnoticed. The NCAA only cares about things brought up to them. But also why do these players need these side pay outs anyways, as a majority of major college basketball players are one and dones. The FBI had to get involved and fix the situation. The NCAA blew off UNC scandal of paper class and allowed the school to handle it and the school found nothing. The NCAA got involved with Louisville and two days later the FBI got some more evidence on the dirty NCAA. College sports is a great platform for these players to play and get an education. I know I am trying to get one myself, but the fact that the NCAA is slacking on this. It is frustrating because that’s why you don’t play the game, you play the game because you love it, not for cash pay outs on the side.

The NCAA needs to figure out how to provide better for athletes. To make sure that all parties are happy, students and schools. But the first thing to do is eliminate the word amateur from the rule book. Yes, education comes first, but for those who are one and dones, either bring back the you can go to the NBA out of high school rule or just let them get paid. It is quite simple. The NCAA just needs to figure it out.

• The NCAA

• The NCAA

• The NCAA

• The NCAA

• The NCAA

• The NCAA

• The NCAA

• The NCAA

• The NCAA

• The NCAA

The NCAA