College lacrosse update

Syrancuse recently came out victorious in a contentious game against Virginia.

Logan Tronio, Staff Writer

The end of winter brings two things, the start of spring and the beginning of college lacrosse season. This always changing sport has news and updates every day, whether it’s change in rankings or rivals facing off. But highlights are always the best when it comes to college ball.

With the start of the season a few weeks ago, there have been many changes in the league rankings. Most substantially is the rise of Albany to the first seat.  Duke has been holding that seat and it was recently taken as Albany has surpassed their total goals score, despite having played fewer games. This being their first time at the top, they have to fight to keep that spot, especially against the aggressive Duke, who is definitely looking to reclaim their spot.

We now move our attention to the recent Syracuse game where they faced off against their long-time rival UVA, which could be argued to be the best fought game of the season this far, as Cuse only managed to pull out the win with a one goal lead against Virginia. This game showed off the various abilities of each of the teams, as their offense movement and plays were on par with each other. But Cuse’s transitions allowed for two goals scored by their long poles. This definitely contributed to their close one goal win. To top it off, a disagreement at the end of the fourth quarter resulted in the benches being cleared and a fight between the two longtime rivals. The final was 12-11 with Syracuse in the lead, but both teams left with a one game suspension after a late hit as the clock ran down. Both coaches are still looking for clarification on the ruling, but as of now the ruling stands as it was called on the field.

Another tragic loss this week came from Chapel Hill, where UNC faces off against fourth ranked Denver. From the start of the game Denver dominated the possessions as they won the faceoffs 20-12 against UNC. This was the first deficit that UNC fought off of the game, as their man defense couldn’t seem to handle the Denver offensive sets. With Denver ending the half at 6-3 with a three goal lead, UNC moved to a zone defense better fight off the pioneers. The Zine was able limit the number of shots but didn’t help their lack of offensive possessions. UNC started to bring the heat as they started to narrow Denver’s lead.  But Denver winning 30-20 seemed to cause one too many possessions that the UNC defense couldn’t handle. Even with the changes UNC made in the second half, it wasn’t enough to get the win against Denver. Denver was able to manage their lead well and control the ball which they can attribute to their game against Duke, and this concept will definitely help them in more games to come.

College lacrosse is one of the most exciting and changing sports. The sport is growing and drawing more attention, especially since these teams seem unpredictable in how their seasons will go, leading to exciting and suspenseful games.

• College lacrosse update

• College lacrosse update

• College lacrosse update

• College lacrosse update

• College lacrosse update

• College lacrosse update

• College lacrosse update

• College lacrosse update

• College lacrosse update

• College lacrosse update

College lacrosse update