Flag football

There's no "i" in team.

Your+2018+East+Lake+varsity+flag+football+team.+
Your 2018 East Lake varsity flag football team.

Hayley Forte, Staff Writer

When most people hear me say “I play flag football,” I usually get responses like “oh, that’s an actual sport,” “oh, so like powder puff” or “girls don’t play football.” The answer is yes, it’s an actual sport, no it’s not powder puff, and most importantly, we girls do play football too.

According to Iliana Lacroix, “We ain’t no puppies; we some dogs.”

Earning your spot on this team isn’t something that’s easy. You have to go through a month and a half of conditioning four days a week for two hours a day and even then you aren’t promised a spot on the team. Bruises are pretty much promised and if you’re seniorTegan Showers, you’ll have a map of the continents in bruises.

I have been on the team for three years now, and this season everyone has a totally different outlook. The only thing on our mind is making it to states with the help of our coach Lawrence Coleman, also known as LC, who took on coaching the day before our tryouts due to us not having a coach anymore. He has done an amazing job at coaching us on how to win. Although our regular season games have not started yet, we had a preseason tournament on February

28th, which included two games. Having totally different plays, players and coaches our first game did not go so well and we did lose. However, that was not the case with our second game that night; we fixed what we needed to fix and got the win. Tegan Showers says, “We

are going to ball out, break some ankles and beat these teams,” and that’s exactly what we plan to do all the way to states.

Flag football is my favorite part of the school year every year, the day conditioning starts after winter break all the way through the last second of the last game. Our new teammate this year, senior Jessie Hansen, says, “I’m thankful that I got a chance to be a part of this team. I love my teammates and I consider them my second family, I can always trust them on the field when things get tough.” With the drama set aside, there is nothing one of us wouldn’t do for this team.

This season will be bittersweet and something every single one of us will remember forever. We won’t remember the games or the scores, but we will remember the hard practices, the crazy bus rides home from a win and the bonds we all shared. “Flag football is the one sport I

always look forward to playing in the spring. We are all a family and the memories we create are unforgettable,” said senior Cailey McKinney.

• Flag football

• Flag football

• Flag football

• Flag football

• Flag football

• Flag football

• Flag football

• Flag football

• Flag football

• Flag football

Flag football