My guide to March Madness

A look at March Madness from an annual predicting pro

Pictured is my family’s March Madness plaque.

Samantha Roghaar, Ads Manager

March brings fun times like St. Patrick’s Day and the official start of spring. March also brings the infamous crazy college basketball tournament also known as March Madness. Fans of March Madness complete a bracket predicting which teams they think will advance and eventually which team will go on to win the championship.

In my family, filling out a bracket is an annual tradition. We’ve been having this family competition for the past nine years and we even have a plaque in our office where we add each year’s winner. When it comes to filling out a bracket, my brothers are extremely competitive and spend days analyzing all the teams in an attempt to call all the inevitable upsets. While this may seem like a great strategy, I am currently tied with my older brother for most overall wins and my strategy differs greatly.

No matter how much research and calculations someone does to try to figure out March Madness, the best part about it is the fact that no one really knows what’s going to happen. This year’s tournament is a great example of this because for the first time in history a number 16 seed team, UMBC, upset a number 1 seed Virginia. When I complete my bracket, I try to fill it out in just a few minutes because I don’t want to spend too much time overthinking anything. When I can’t decide who’s going to win a close game, for example between a 8 or 9 seed, I look at team colors and pick whichever ones I like better. I also try to predict a few big upsets because they are always bound to happen. In this year’s tournament, I correctly called 11 seed Syracuse beating 6 seed TCU and 13 seed Buffalo beating 4 seed Arizona.

Whether you know everything there is to know about college basketball or you fill out a bracket just because your friends and family do, March Madness is one of the most entertaining sporting events in the United States.

• My guide to March Madness

• My guide to March Madness

• My guide to March Madness

• My guide to March Madness

• My guide to March Madness

• My guide to March Madness

• My guide to March Madness

• My guide to March Madness

• My guide to March Madness

• My guide to March Madness

My guide to March Madness