Sports talk: upsets galore!

March Madness is underway; let’s take a look at some of the craziest upsets!

Michael Trotto, Staff Writer

March Madness has begun and let me tell you, bracketer to bracketer, I messed up. And I know for a fact that you did too. There are officially no perfect brackets left and that is due to the insane and unprecedented amount of upsets that have already taken place. Some extremely low seeded teams are making it into the Sweet 16, while one-seed Virginia, two-seed Cincinnati, and four-seed Virginia have already been booted from the competition. Here are some of the craziest upsets so far from March Madness 2018.

#1 Virginia vs. #16 UMBC

Virginia was the top overall seed in the NCAA tournament, while a lowly UMBC barely made it into the competition. UMBC put up some truly outstanding numbers against the heavily favored Virginia Cavaliers. The final tally was a stunning 74-54 victory for UMBC, the first time in the history of the tournament that has left a number 16 seed boasting a victory over the all-powerful number one seed. This upset alone ruined most people’s brackets, According to CBS Sports, 99.4% of brackets had Virginia going through to the second round.

#2 Cincinnati vs. #7 Nevada

Although this isn’t a complete Cinderella story, it still came as a big shock in comeback fashion. Nevada was able to make a massive come back to knock off the two seed Cincinnati and advance into the next round of the tournament. The final score was 75-73 and the game truly came down to the final seconds; Cincinnati just didn’t want the win as much as Nevada did, plain and simple.

#4 Arizona vs. #13 Buffalo

This upset set brackets reeling as well; again most people expected the high powered offense of Arizona to overpower Buffalo easily. Not so fast, said the number 13 seed Buffalo, who beat Arizona in dominating fashion with a final score of 89-68. That’s a 21 point victory from a 13 seed. Almost as impressive as a 20 point victory from the 16 seed!

So far, March Madness has fit the title very well, complete and utter madness. Two teams that were expected to go very far in the tournament have been bounced extremely early in the tourney. Overall, according to CBS Sports, 27.6% of people completing a bracket either chose Arizona or Virginia to win the entire thing, more than a fourth of all brackets. All destroyed within the first round of play. Madness.

• Sports talk: upsets galore!

• Sports talk: upsets galore!

• Sports talk: upsets galore!

• Sports talk: upsets galore!

• Sports talk: upsets galore!

• Sports talk: upsets galore!

• Sports talk: upsets galore!

• Sports talk: upsets galore!

• Sports talk: upsets galore!

• Sports talk: upsets galore!

Sports talk: upsets galore!