Pure madness

Two words—Pure. Madness.

Two words—Pure. Madness.

Jacob Prail, Staff Writer

Madness. Pure Madness is what this year’s tournament has been. No one would think this year would be the year of the upsets. The brackets being shredded, burned, ripped, crumpled and thrown away. The championship is set, but not before the  craziness that was March Madness.

Oh THE UPSETS, all the upsets. The biggest shock by far had to be 16 seed UMBC Retrievers beating 1 seed and majority of the country’s pick to win it all, the Virginia Cavaliers. The Retrievers didn’t just win by a buzzer beater; no, they beat down Virginia into submission. UMBC won by 20 points and made Virginia, who was ranked #1 in the country at this moment in time, look like an amateur team. Virginia wasn’t the only team to cause people to burn their brackets.

Meet the Nevada Wolfpack, Texas A&M Aggies, Florida State Seminoles, Loyola Chicago Ramblers, Buffalo Bulls, Kansas State Wildcats, Marshall Thundering Herd and of course the Syracuse Orange. These teams are the reasons for burning your bracket. The Nevada Wolfpack eliminated the Cincinnati Bearcats, who was also a big favorite to win as well. Florida State eliminated 1 seeded Xavier Musketeers from the tournament to move on to the Elite Eight. Kansas State eliminated blue blood Kentucky Wildcats. Buffalo beat Arizona Wildcats as the first upset of the brackets. Marshall Thundering Herd crumpled the Wichita State Shockers.  Syracuse Orange beat TCU and Michigan State to make their way to the Sweet Sixteen. Loyola Chicago Ramblers beat Miami, Tennessee, Nevada and Kansas State to punch their ticket to the Final Four where their run came to a halt against Michigan.

There were other moments of madness beyond the upsets. For instance, Villanova set a record for 18 three pointers made in a game in the Final Four game against Kansas, in which they were never behind except for the opening basket. Michigan’s buzzer beater to beat Houston, and Loyola’s run to the championship were the craziest things in this tournament. Not to mention the superstar of the tournament was Sister Jean of Loyola Chicago.

This has been the best tournament in recent years. We had a feel good Cinderella in Loyola Chicago. We saw the first ever 16 over a 1 seed. We saw way too many upsets for some, but the unpredictable format of March cause us to go mad for more next year.

• Pure madness

• Pure madness

• Pure madness

• Pure madness

• Pure madness

• Pure madness

• Pure madness

• Pure madness

Spider-Man: Far From Home

• Pure madness

Potentially Record Breaking Weather

• Pure madness

Year of the pig, incorrect, year of the Chapstick

Pure madness