The fall of UCONN

Does this mark a new era for women's college basketball?

UCONN women celebrate a big play, and hopefully a bright future.

Photo provided by USAToday

Photo provided by USAToday

Albert Turner, Staff Writer

2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016. What do all these years have in common? Other than the fact that they are half of the years since 2000, they are also all the years that the UCONN women’s basketball team has won the national championship; this is an achievement that no other college team in any sport has come close to accomplishing, and even more immaculate is the span from 2013 to 2016 when they won the title all four years, which is an accomplishment that hasn’t been seen in college athletics or in any major pro sport. Another thing you may see is that the largest drought was between 2004 and 2009; however, each of those years they were in the Final 4 yet fell short. Much like the last two years, does this show the signs of a dying UCONN dynasty? Could this drought be worse than all the other ones we have seen in  the past? Is this the end of UCONN basketball dominance?

Through brief analysis of UCONN you can see that they have had the same coach for 33 years. As head coach of the University of Connecticut women’s basketball team, the Italian-born Luigi “Geno” Auriemma has inextricably linked his name with that of the team, transforming a program with only one winning season into the winningest team ever in women’s college basketball, and making a strong case as one of the best coaches ever. In his astonishing career Auriemma has won more than 25 different national Coach of the Year awards and was inducted into both the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame and the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame; since 2009 he is the coach of the United States women’s national basketball team, leading his teams to win the 2010 and 2014 World Championships, as well as gold medals at the 2012 and 2016 Summer Olympics. Coach Geno Auriemma before he was the coach of UCONN was not even considered a contender when it came to women’s college basketball, and can be considered the catalyst that started UCONN’s current standing as a top team, the one thing is that it took 10 years for him to get to that point from starting, meaning one of two things for UCONN fans. Either Geno took that time to develop a formula for winning games and doing so in a rather powerful manner, or his scouting team really assisted in getting him the players he needed to win those games making his job easy as could be. Hoping for the former UCONN will not die as a dynasty and can be easily predicted as next year’s winners or at least final competitors; however, if the latter is true and the scouts have been incorrect in their assessments of the next generation of players then UCONN could be seriously wounded when it comes to their future.

Even though they were not crowned national champions in all those years one thing is hard to overlook–their record since Geno became their coach, an insane 1027–135 (.884), This is can be seen as easily one of the most impressive win rates in the history of sports, as a team in even more recent times since 2013 they have only lost 3 games.

In conclusion as long as UCONN keeps the formula, the method and the organization the same. Without a doubt they will rebound and keep the dynasty afloat.

• The fall of UCONN

• The fall of UCONN

• The fall of UCONN

• The fall of UCONN

• The fall of UCONN

• The fall of UCONN

• The fall of UCONN

• The fall of UCONN

• The fall of UCONN

• The fall of UCONN

The fall of UCONN