Ultimate Frisbee is one of the fastest growing sports in the US.

Look+at+that+grab%21+
Look at that grab!

Look at that grab!

Look at that grab!

Michael Trotto, Staff Writer

All over the world, people every day are looking for a game to play that will quench their thirst for Frisbee, while also including some aspects of football. Ladies and Gentlemen, do I have some great news for you. Ultimate Frisbee, or just Ultimate, is the answer to all of your questions. “Is there a game that I can play that will combine the calming nature of tossing a Frisbee with the blood-thirsty feeling I get when I play football? Because I’d love that.” My answer, “Yes. Ultimate Frisbee allows you to spin the ‘bee at the same time as you run up and down a field trying to score by making it into the ‘end zone’ with the Frisbee in hand.” Others may ask, “Why doesn’t my family love me?” I would answer, “Yes. They despise you, with a quite impressive level of hate. However, they might hate you less if you got up and played some Ultimate.” Once again, Ultimate Frisbee is the answer to all of your questions and problems.

As for the rules of the game, they are fairly simple. First of all, Ultimate is a non-contact sport, so unfortunately there is no legal checking or tackling in the game. The object of the game is to score more points than the opposing team, and to score points a team must advance the Frisbee up the field by throwing it to other teammates. Once the Frisbee is caught, the player must stop moving and look for another player to pass it to; the thrower has 10 seconds to pass the Frisbee after catching it or the play is stalled. The act of actually scoring points is characterized by a player receiving a pass from another player while the player catching the Frisbee is located in the end zone. Each time a team scores in the other team’s end zone the scoring team is awarded with one point. After one team scores, both teams line up on the front of their respective end zones. The scoring team throws the Frisbee to the other team and play is initiated once again. After any stoppage in play such as a drop, an interception, a pass out of bounds, or a stall, the defending team gains possession and starts their next offensive turn. Ultimate is a game where self-officiating is often needed, so players are allowed to call their own fouls and even make their own judgements during play. The most important part of Ultimate is the sportsmanship aspect of play. The game is very competitive, but that should never get in the way of the respect that each team holds for the others. Unfortunately, there is no professional Ultimate Frisbee, but there are many tournaments that happen all over the United States that offer an opportunity to showcase your skills.

Ultimate is one of the most fun experiences anyone can have; personally I think it is definitely one of the better sports for having fun as long as you have enough people. Ultimate is a fairly young sport, created in 1968, so it can only get better. It is already pretty great so I suggest that you hop on the Ultimate wave now, while you still can. This thing is going to blow up so fast, you won’t be able to catch it.

• Ultimate Frisbee: the sport of champions