Zlatan to MLS

Zlatan quickly made an impact for the Galaxy.

Ian Woodward, Staff Writer

Zlatan Ibrahimović, the world-renowned soccer, star has recently announced the move to play stateside in the MLS for one of the country’s top and most popular teams (well, about as popular as soccer can be in the United States), the LA Galaxy. The Galaxy has a plethora of MLS league titles, five to be exact, and their most recent being in 2014 when they won the league title against the New England Revolution in extra time by a score of 2-1. With the LA Galaxy having a history of signing overseas stars from the top leagues in the world to their club, it only makes sense that a player of Ibrahimović’s talents would choose to go there of all other MLS teams. He is being compensated nicely for his transfer to the American League at a price tag of 4.5 million Eu just for a one year contract with the Galaxy. Zlatan also stated he was “excited to come over and to get the experience of the Galaxy and to explore how the football is there I want to be a part of it and make it better.”

Zlatan has already made his first couple of appearances for the club this month, playing in a total of three games and scoring three goals. Zlatan is already making a name for himself in the MLS with his unique play style and flair that many of the American fans have never seen before. On Zlatan’s first appearance against the Los Angeles Football club, he scored two amazing goals after being subbed on in the first half, one being from just under half field. Zlatan’s antics in the Premier League have clearly not stopped despite his transfer to the American League.

The MLS has a history of signing older and more experienced foreign superstars to their rosters for short amounts of time in order to help younger players on the team develop and learn as well as hopes of raising the ticket sales and filling their stadium. The MLS has most recently signed players such as David Villa to New York and Kàka to our local team, Orlando City. The trend all started back in 2012 when world renowned footballer David Beckham left the Premier League to join the MLS on the LA Galaxy roster. David Beckham stayed with the club for two years and then shortly after retired from football all around. After LA Galaxy set the bar with the Beckham transfer, other teams across the nation hoped on the train and began to acquire their own ex-legends. These recent trends have shown no sign of stopping considering how exciting they have made the league and how well these players have been producing. Keep it up MLS.

• Zlatan to MLS

• Zlatan to MLS

• Zlatan to MLS

• Zlatan to MLS

• Zlatan to MLS

• Zlatan to MLS

• Zlatan to MLS

• Zlatan to MLS

• Zlatan to MLS

• Zlatan to MLS

Zlatan to MLS