Florida Football

Football in Florida is a really big thing; normally most Florida schools are good enough to compete or at least go even in their schedule. This year looks very promising with the three teams that won their opening game and for the two teams that lost, this is a learning opportunity and they can become better.

Josh Brookes, Staff Writer

After week one of college football comes to a close, the Florida teams have done overall pretty well.  With a three to two win/loss ratio, week one can be classified as slightly above average.  While not having a perfect win/loss ratio, it is still positive and that can be a success for the Florida football teams.

The South Florida Bulls had the second game among the Florida schools this weekend by having a 6 p.m. game on Saturday.  They played the Elon Phoenix and were very successful in the first two quarters, putting up 24 points to Elon’s zero.  They slowed down in the third and fourth because they took their starters out but they did still score ten points.  Elon’s attempt at a comeback came when they scored 14 points in the second half.  This wasn’t enough to win, but they did show that they had some fight in them left.

The Miami Hurricanes lost their game on Sunday vs. the Louisiana State University TIgers 33-17.  For most of the game, Miami was down by about 20 to 30 points. In the fourth quarter, however, they did attempt to rally back and bring in 14 points but that wasn’t enough to bring them the win.  The Hurricanes play the unranked Savannah State next week.  After losing to 11th ranked LSU, testing their skills against an unranked opponent might be just what they need to find out if their strategy for the upcoming season needs to be tweaked.

The Florida Gators’ first game of the season is normally a blowout game.  They like to schedule North East South State Tech College and this year was no different.  They played the Charleston Southern Buccaneers at home on Saturday and the game wasn’t even close.  Scoring 28 points in the second quarter, the Gators showed that starting the year off strong was what they wanted to do.  The defense even got in on scoring by getting a safety in the fourth quarter.  Charleston Southern was able to get six points on the Gators but that was after the second and third string were put in for experience.  Next week Florida plays the Kentucky Wildcats.  This is a very popular rivalry with Florida excited to win again and Kentucky ready to break the streak.  Florida has a 31 game winning streak against Kentucky and the players have already expressed that by this time next week it’ll be 32.

The Florida State Seminoles had the roughest time in week one against the twelfth ranked Virginia Tech Hokies.  Losing 24-3 on Monday, they were losing for practically the entire game, only scoring a field goal in the second quarter.  Next week they should have a better time against the unranked Samford Bulldogs but only time will tell.

Last but certainly not least are the Central Florida Knights.  Ranked at number nineteen on the NCAA football rankings and number one in our hearts the UCF Knights had a commanding victory against the Connecticut Huskies.  Scoring fourteen points each quarter they came out 39 points ahead with a final score of 56-17.  By starting off the year with such a game, the “National Champions” look hungry to get their deserving spot in the 2019 College Football Championship.  With a game against South Carolina State next week, they have to show that they’re going to blow out every team they play to prove that they’ve earned their bid in the Championship bracket.

While week one did come to a close, there are still many more weeks of Florida college football for all of these teams to play and more drama to be held between the Florida teams’ rivalries with each other.

• Florida Football

• Florida Football

• Florida Football

• Florida Football

• Florida Football

• Florida Football

• Florida Football

• Florida Football

• Florida Football

• Florida Football

Florida Football