Swim Season Predictions

The swim team is looking forward to many victories.

Jasmine Kellogg, Staff Writer

This year the swim team is fired up for a new season, ready to kick some butt and swim their hearts out. Only two meets into the season, the team is excited for what is in store for them. The first meet the team won in JV girls and lost in Varsity. They are going to keep working to push to win the upcoming meets. Swimmers practice every school day from two o’clock to four-thirty at the YMCA of North Pinellas. When athletes arrive to practice they participate in a brief dryland and then stretch before diving into the cool water for a two-hour swim workout. Coach Rob, who is not at teacher at East Lake, is coaching this team for the second year in a row and hopefully leading the team to success.

One of the biggest struggles the team is coming across so far is the afternoon storms. Florida’s bipolar weather causes the team to lose practice time and have to go indoors. Even with a few missed practices, however, the team feels confident they have a good shot at victory. East Lake has already won against Northeast High School in both girls and guys, JV and varsity.

After talking to the swimmers about how they feel about the upcoming season, I discovered there are mixed feelings for the future. Senior Emma Siegel feels “our coach doesn’t how to utilize our time during practice, but I think as a team we have bonded and really come together.” Several other athletes agreed, saying that there has been a lot of disorganization recently and meets haven’t gone as smoothly as in the past. Even with the miscommunications and as Junior Colleen Mangan says “major L’s” the team has grown together as one and is shooting for success only. Most of the freshmen disagreed with the negative opinions of the older kids, sharing that they loved swim so far and the welcoming atmosphere that comes with it. There are so many opportunities to meet people and make new friends through this sport. The team spirit that comes along with it only gets better as the season goes on as. Freshman Sarah Hancock said her favorite part of swim so far was all the spirit activities and cheering the team on. The team is really coming together despite the odds to have a good, fun season while still working hard.

• Swim Season Predictions

• Swim Season Predictions

• Swim Season Predictions

• Swim Season Predictions

• Swim Season Predictions

• Swim Season Predictions

• Swim Season Predictions

• Swim Season Predictions

• Swim Season Predictions

• Swim Season Predictions

Swim Season Predictions