Tension on the tennis court

The match that caused a racquet.

Serena+Williams+and+Naomi+Osaka+Embrace+after+a+nail-biting+match.+
Serena Williams and Naomi Osaka Embrace after a nail-biting match.

Kinou Louis-Charles, Ads Manager

Pro tennis player Serena Williams and rising star Naomi Osaka went head to head last Saturday at the 2018 US Open tennis tournament, but Osaka wasn’t the only one Serena was up against that afternoon. Umpire Carlos Ramos granted Serena Williams with three code violations that eventually cost her her 24th Tournament win and a $17,000 fine; Williams later claimed that sexism was at the root of this incident.

The match began with people already on the edge of their seats, but things really began to heat up when Umpire Ramos claimed to witness Serena receive coaching from her coach Patrick Mouratoglou. Ramos gave her a warning, and Serena Williams addressed the umpire on the accusation of cheating, stating, “I don’t cheat to win, I’d rather lose.”

The match continued between the two players and after her loss of a game Serena smashed her racquet in frustration and received a penalty along with a point deduction. More upset than before, Serena Williams confronted the umpire a second time arguing with him and demanding that he give an apology.

“You owe me an apology. I have never cheated in my life! I have a daughter and I stand what’s right for her and I’ve never cheated, you owe me an apology.”

Williams then proceeded to call the umpire “a thief,” claiming he stole a point from her at the end of the first game, and that is when Williams was met with her third code violation, verbal abuse. The referee was brought out to the court on Serena’s request to speak to Ramos and Williams, who was then in tears, told him there are men who have done worse and gotten away with it.

Naomi Osaka went on to beat Serena Williams 6-2, 6-4, becoming the first Japanese player to win a Grand Slam, but what was supposed to be a joyous win for the victor actually left her in tears. Instead of cheers from an adoring crowd, Osaka was presented with booing at the trophy ceremony. Osaka covered her face with her hat and began to cry and then apologized for the turn out of the match.

“I know that everyone was cheering for [Serena] and I’m sorry it had to end like this,” she said.

Naomi Osaka thanked everyone for watching the match of her dreams and accepted her trophy along with a check for 3.8 million dollars winning her first Grand Slam title.

After the tension filled match, Serena attended her press conference to talk about what had happened moments earlier.

“[Naomi] played an amazing match, and she deserved the credit, and she deserved to win and at the end of the day that’s what it was,” Williams said.

Serena Williams had by that point accepted the outcome of the tennis match and credited Naomi Osaka for her skills, telling that there may be something she can learn for her. Although, Serena still had problems on how everything played out. She went on to explain how it was not fair for her to earn a code violation due to verbal abuse when she has claimed to have seen men call umpires several things worse than that and not get penalized. She went on to say she’ll continue to fight for women’s rights and hopefully other tennis players will be allowed to express their emotions after what happened during this match.

“The fact I have to go through this is just an example for the next person, that has emotions, and that wanna express themselves, and they wanna be a strong woman, and their gonna be allowed to do that because of today. Maybe it didn’t work out for me but it’s gonna work out for the next person,” Williams said.

Naomi Osaka was grateful for her chance to play and Serena Williams was content with her loss. The two players gave it their all and left it on the court with no regrets and were thankful for the opportunity to play in front of many tennis loving fans.

• Tension on the tennis court

• Tension on the tennis court

• Tension on the tennis court

• Tension on the tennis court

• Tension on the tennis court

• Tension on the tennis court

• Tension on the tennis court

• Tension on the tennis court

• Tension on the tennis court

• Tension on the tennis court

Tension on the tennis court