A Tennis Tantrum

Marley Burwell, Features Editor

The women’s tennis finals for the US Open 2018 was a match that will not be forgotten for a long time. The match saw Serena Williams, a seasoned player, and newcomer Naomi Osaka. Williams was gunning for her 24th major title. Williams’ track record is very good, and people were expecting her to pull off another win. However, the match took a very interesting and unpredictable turn, and not in her favor.
Osaka beat Williams in the first set 6-2. The set was played very well by both players, with Osaka coming out on top. The second set saw Williams starting to make a comeback. The score was more even. The umpire gave Williams a warning during the second set. This was due to his belief that her coach was making hand signals at her, which is a code violation. Serena did not take that well. She was demanding an apology from the chair umpire, Carlos Ramos, and was relentless about it.
Williams was upset for the entire match and kept going back to yell at the umpire. She later smashed her racket on the court and broke it. That’s not an easy thing to do either. I’ve played tennis for many years and rackets are very strong so the amount of force it would take to break it is unreal. Unfortunately for Williams, the smashing of the racket resulted in a point penalty, as it was another violation. This caused Williams to get even more angry. She even called Ramos a “thief.” Because she was so intense, a game penalty was given to Williams.
US Open officials came and tried to calm Williams down. Williams did not let up. She was in a bad mood for the rest of the match. Even though all this was going on, the match was still being played. Osaka ended up winning the match. This upset a lot of fans of Williams.
I honestly feel so bad for Osaka. Watching her pulling her visor down to cover up her tears from all the booing made me want to cry. Osaka played extremely well, especially against an amazing player like Serena Williams. Osaka is the first Japanese woman to ever win a Grand Slam final. She is only twenty years old and already so accomplished.
The fans in the stadium were very rude to Osaka. I guess they couldn’t accept the fact that Williams lost. My mom and I were rooting for Osaka the entire time, however. It was bittersweet for Osaka and those rooting for her. She won the match fair and square, but so many were upset Williams lost. Due to this, she couldn’t even enjoy winning the US Open and beating Williams.
This fiasco all started with a tantrum and turned into something it really didn’t need to be. It was a really fun match to watch, even to people who are not fans of tennis.

• A Tennis Tantrum

• A Tennis Tantrum

• A Tennis Tantrum

• A Tennis Tantrum

• A Tennis Tantrum

• A Tennis Tantrum

• A Tennis Tantrum

• A Tennis Tantrum

• A Tennis Tantrum

• A Tennis Tantrum

A Tennis Tantrum