Running for your life

Running for your life

East Lake's track and cross country runners know the physical and mental benefits of running.

Olivia Mackenzie, Staff Writer

Upon hearing the word “run”, many have mixed emotions. Either people love it, hate it, or just tolerate it. Running not only has numerous physical benefits but also has a various amount of benefits that can improve the mental or emotional health of an individual.

Running is proven to improve many aspects of an individual’s physical health. One way it physically improves the body is how it can improve cardiovascular health, as well as cholesterol and the immune system. It can reduce blood pressure greatly due to the reduction of stress and anxiety in the body that comes from running. It also strengthens one’s lungs when running long distances, expanding an individual’s endurance each run and each time they push it. Lastly, it can overall improve muscles and health overall, making your bones and muscles stronger and more toned. Running is a great way to stay active and to keep in shape, leading to weight loss and more strength.

Mentally, running can relieve the stress that builds up in a person, training them to focus all their energy, anxiety, and anger in the run. Overall, this pushes one to run harder and faster, making the feeling of stress go away and replaces it with a feeling of happiness or satisfaction resulting from a good run or workout. Running is proven to decrease feelings of depression or anxiety, as well as boosting self-esteem and mental capacity. Mostly, for people who can tolerate or enjoy running, it boosts their mood, creating a lighter feeling. Since it helps push the negative feelings away, running is a form of escape to many. Senior Ashanti Rachel from the East Lake’s track team says that she loves running because “it gets my mind off of the stress of school and allows me to make new friends.” Another senior, Rachel Wentz, says she likes running because “it helps clear my mind.”

Overall, running is extremely beneficial to physical health as well as mental health. While some may see it as a burden or too much work, many see it as a form of escape from reality, an escape from stress that can occur in school, work, friends, or family situations. Running can be a form of a physical and mental workout, exercising not only your body but your mind and training it to be positive.

• Running for your life

VS Fashion Show: A Men’s Rights Issue

• Running for your life

Come See All My Sons!

• Running for your life

Bring back the mullet, or die trying

• Running for your life

• Running for your life

• Running for your life

• Running for your life

• Running for your life

• Running for your life

• Running for your life

Running for your life