Just as hard as football

Photo from sportingnews.com

Photo from sportingnews.com

Photo from sportingnews.com

Emily Galka, Sports Editor

There has always been this notion on cheerleading not being a sport, but truly it is just as rigorous or even more than most so called sports.  Don’t let the perfect hair and full face of makeup fool you; they work just as hard to perfect motions and stunts as football players do running plays, or baseball players perfecting their swing, whatever sport you choose cheerleaders work just as hard.  The things we have begun calling sports, over cheer is quite insulting.

Recently the discussion of NFL players’ salaries came up in Government class, and we discussed whether we believed the players were overpaid for just playing a sport or whether their large paychecks were justified by the work they put into the team. Most of the outspoken students said that they were paid properly for their involvement.  Along with this discussion came in whether we believe professional cheerleaders should be paid more than they get, being that they have to be at every game just like the players, and they also must practice for their performances at the games.  This brought some different opinions up, but a good number of students said that they shouldn’t be paid any more that what they get, but one student brought up how some people do just come to the games mostly for the cheerleaders, so they do produce some revenue, not as great as the football players but it’s something.

What makes a sport a sport?  Is it the amount of injuries, the amount you have to practice and train, or just simply what people like to watch on television in their free time?  In any of those aspects cheerleading fits; if you think that girls don’t get injured when lifting girls, tossing girls, or repeatedly throwing their tumbling routine, you are sadly mistaken.  According to USSA.edu cheerleading is ranked as number in female sports and number two in all sports for having the most catastrophic injuries.  As for practice, it all depends on the team, but generally it has the same hours as a full-time job, just as most other sports.  The definite argument killer is the dictionary definition of a sport: “an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.”  Sounds to me like cheer would definitely be sport.

• Just as hard as football

• Just as hard as football

• Just as hard as football

• Just as hard as football

• Just as hard as football

• Just as hard as football

• Just as hard as football

• Just as hard as football

• Just as hard as football

• Just as hard as football

Just as hard as football