Conor McGregor vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov – Review of the Fight of the Century

The Lightweight Championship scrap that raised hell in New Jersey

Brandon Ottaviano, Staff Writer

What. The. Heck. Saturday, October 6th, all hell broke loose in New Jersey. Countries clashed. Punches were thrown. War was started. Pay-per-Views were broken. This event did it all… let’s discuss.

Leading up to the fight, Conor McGregor, as usual, engaged in plenty of trash talk. However, this time, he may have gone a little too far, going for Khabib’s country, his team, his religion, and even his father. This evidently caused lots of emotions on Khabib’s side…

The fight itself was a beautiful display of skill from both sides; however, one fighter shined much brighter than the other. Round 1 began with a quick single leg takedown attempt from Khabib, followed up by beautiful takedown defense from Conor. Leg on the outside, creating distance, good balance on one leg; Conor played it really well. Too bad Khabib is just better. He took him down with ease, gaining top position. Khabib likes to triangle the legs of his opponent on the ground, nullifying their movement and rendering their body fairly useless. However, kudos to Conor because he greatly stopped Khabib’s attacking, trapping his arms and not allowing him to attack. Khabib 1, Conor 0.

The second round was not so good for Conor. The round started on the feet, where Conor was supposed to have the advantage. Throw that out the window because Khabib landed a perfect overhand right that knocked down Conor. Immediately taking Conor down, Khabib was able to pass his guard and land some heavy-handed strikes. Khabib 2, Conor 0.

Round three was a history-making round, as Conor actually won it. For the first time in his career, Khabib had actually lost a round (yeah… he’s that dominant). Conor mixed it up on the feet, stuffing the first few takedown attempts and landing a great knee in the clinch. A quick trip to the ground at the end and that was all she wrote for round three. Khabib 2, Conor 1.

Round four was the beginning of the end for the event. As per usual, Khabib threw Conor on the ground, landing strikes and advancing position. Eventually reaching Conor’s back, Khabib sunk in a neck crank, forcing Conor to tap out halfway through the round. 27-0 for the Champ Khabib Nurmagomedov, in a dominant and impressive performance. What followed was not so good.

Upon victory Khabib threw his mouthpiece at Conor McGregor’s corner, talking smack to his Jiu-Jitsu coach, Dillon Danis. Khabib then flew over the side of the cage and attacked Danis, prompting a brawl in the crowd. Conor, chilling in the ring, ended up getting confronted by Khabib’s brother, whom he punched in the face, not before getting cheap shot from behind by more of Khabib’s teammates. The brawl was unnecessary and soiled the magnitude of the event. This one will go down in the record books for sure.

As a result of these events, both sides suffered repercussions. Both fighters have been suspended indefinitely, awaiting hearing on October 24th. One, if not both of these fighters will likely receive a suspension of at least six months. Khabib has threatened to leave the UFC altogether if his teammate Zubaira Turkogov is suspended for his role in these events. He was a main part of this attack and even went on social media to brag about the event. Zubaira was scheduled to fight Artem Lobov, teammate of Conor McGregor. As of now, all we can do is let things work itself out.

• Conor McGregor vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov – Review of the Fight of the Century