The rise and fall of Fitzmagic

Ryan Fitzpatrick took the league by surprise for the first three weeks, setting records only to lose his job in week four.

1Ryan Fitzpatrick (right) does his best Connor McGregor (left) impression in the press conference after Week two

Cory Fakterowitz, Staff Writer

When I took up this topic, it was intended to be about a quarterback who has throughout his 13-year NFL career had many ups and downs with seven different teams as both a starting and backup quarterback finally breaking through to being a star at 35. Unfortunately, the great success story storyline has come to a brutal end in just Week 4 of the season. The season began with a perfect scenario for Ryan Fitzpatrick as the starter for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, as Jameis Winston was suspended for the first three games of the NFL regular season due violating the personal conduct policy by allegedly groping an Uber driver.

With a one year, three-million-dollar contract and the starting job practically his, Fitzpatrick was set up for something great. In Week One, the Bucs opened against the New Orleans Saints, and Fitzpatrick went off for 417 yards with four throwing touchdowns, completing 21 of 28 passes, as well as adding another rushing touchdown and 36 yards on the ground. This took many, and I mean many, people by surprise. As Week Two came along, countless people watched in shock as he went 27 of 33 for 402 yards and another four touchdowns against the reigning Super Bowl champions, the Philadelphia Eagles. He put up an impressive QB rating of 144.4 even with an interception. This earned Fitzpatrick for the second week in a row the title of NFC Offensive Player of the Week. The biggest highlight from that game, however, was not on the field but rather after the game when Fitzpatrick made the decision to borrow fellow teammate DeSean Jackson’s clothes for the press conference. This caused absolute chaos on social media and led to the birth of Fitzmagic as he very closely resembled the famous MMA fighter Connor McGregor. Personally, this is when I caught on to the hype of Fitzpatrick and even went so far as to pick him up in my fantasy league.

Anyway, Week Three comes along and everyone is now watching as the Bucs faced the Pittsburgh Steelers on Monday Night Football. The first half was what–now that I look at it– appeared to be a look into the future or as many would consider reality. Fitzpatrick threw three interceptions, including a pick 6. At the half, it was 30-10, but Fitzpatrick managed to make it close in the second half and almost pulled off more magic. The Bucs did lose 30-27, but Fitzpatrick still finished with three touchdowns and 411 yards. This got national attention as Fitzpatrick became the first quarterback EVER to pass for 400 yards in three straight games. However, this would all come to a sad and abrupt end in Week Four against the Chicago Bears. Opposing quarterback Mitchell Trubisky went off, throwing five touchdowns in the first half. As for Fitzpatrick, he was held to a meager 126 yards and an interception, leading to the Bucs opting to put newly unsuspended Jameis Winston back into the game, meaning the official end of Fitzmagic. While it was fun to watch and gave us all a few laughs, it was bound to end no matter how much we didn’t want to believe it. All in all, hats off to you, Ryan Fitzpatrick for entertaining us for an unforgettable three weeks of football.

• The rise and fall of Fitzmagic

• The rise and fall of Fitzmagic

• The rise and fall of Fitzmagic

• The rise and fall of Fitzmagic

• The rise and fall of Fitzmagic

• The rise and fall of Fitzmagic

• The rise and fall of Fitzmagic

• The rise and fall of Fitzmagic

• The rise and fall of Fitzmagic

• The rise and fall of Fitzmagic

The rise and fall of Fitzmagic