MLB off-season

Machado, Harper Sweepstakes are under way and the big for the future of the Rays is heating up.

MLB off-season

The Rays have made some additions, hoping to improve on last year's surprising 90-win season.

Brock Maloy, Staff Writer

The most exciting sport of all time, baseball, has had an even more entertaining off-season. Nothing has happened at all, actually, just like a game. Manny Machado and Bryce Harper have been holding out. The early storm of tweets and discussions has gone quiet and everybody is waiting to see who signs with whom.  Surprisingly the Rays have made a splash in free agency, but there is a large chance they are leaving Florida in the next few years. 

Rays fans rejoiced when they thought a new stadium was in the works and set for 2023.  That all collapsed when out of nowhere the MLB commissioner called the Rays plans “not feasible,” which ultimately ended the Rays chance of staying in Florida. The stadium was to be a 29,000 seat stadium with a glass roof. Located in Ybor City, it promised to draw more fans to the games. The problem was that owner Stewart Sternberg wasn’t willing to cover the cost of the stadium, so they needed Tampa and outside companies to pitch in.  The funding never came, and the plans failed. Even worse, they have Tropicana leased only through 2027, so time is running out to make a deal for a stadium before ownership decides to move the team to somewhere like Portland or Nashville.

The Manny Machado sweepstakes have sent plenty of teams in to bidding wars.  Most notable were the Dodgers and Yankees. A surprise contender emerged out of the shadows, though.  The Chicago White Sox are leading the race for Machado. They reportedly offered him a 300 million dollar contract, which should reel him in.  Also, he most likely wants to be the face of a young upcoming team.  If he joined the Yankees or Dodgers, he would just be another face on the team.  Also, the pressure to perform is way greater with these teams. Who knows? Maybe the Rays will grab him. 

Now the man Bryce Harper has many places of interest from the Yankees to even the Rays!  The Rays could invest in Harper differently from others.  Other teams are looking to sign him for the long haul, but the Rays may want a one-year deal.  Now it would be abnormal for the Rays to spend any money but maybe it would show a new city the Rays will spend money.  Also, the Rays are coming off a 90-win season and now acquiring Yandy Diaz from the Rangers.  The Rays are legitimate contenders, which is quite frankly amazing.  They have already opened up their pockets once for a pitcher maybe now for an outfielder? Sadly, probably not, though, as the Phillies, Padres, Yankees, and many more are hot contenders in front. The Padres look to be in the lead, actually meeting with him in Las Vegas. He will want a 400 million dollar contract but after a poor performance last year will he get it?

• MLB off-season

• MLB off-season

• MLB off-season

• MLB off-season

• MLB off-season

• MLB off-season

• MLB off-season

• MLB off-season

Spider-Man: Far From Home

• MLB off-season

Potentially Record Breaking Weather

• MLB off-season

Year of the pig, incorrect, year of the Chapstick

MLB off-season