Football is Back… Again

The AAF was created so football can continue year-round even after the Super Bowl ends.

Football is Back… Again

1Two players of the Orlando Appolos celebrate a sack in a 40-6 win over the Atlanta Legends.

Cory Fakterowitz, Staff Writer

The new Alliance of American Football league kicked off (well there are no kickoffs) and from just the first two games everyone is just about sold on it. The league was created by Charlie Ebersol and Bill Polian. Ebersol is the son of former legendary NBC executive Dick Ebersol and is a powerful TV and film producer as well. Polian has been an analyst for ESPN and has served as the General Manager of the NFL Bills, Colts, and Panthers being named NFL Executive of the Year six times. The league consists of eight teams located in Arizona, Atlanta, Birmingham, Memphis, Orlando, Salt Lake, San Antonio, and San Diego.  The league started on February 9th and runs though April 14th and that’s just the regular season. The championship is on April 27th and is set to be played in Vegas.

The League even included some names that most people have most likely heard before, such as Trent Richardson the former 3rd overall pick in the NFL draft back in 2012. He hasn’t been on an NFL roster since 2016 but is now on the Birmingham Iron. Other notable big names would also be the coach of the Orlando Apollos, Steve Spurrier, and legendary NFL quarterback Mike Vick is an offensive coordinator of the Atlanta Legends.

Big changes to the league compared to the NFL are that kickoffs, which were determined to be the “least interesting play of the game” were removed for safety reasons. Instead, you start on the 25-yard line. But if it comes to the point where an onside kick is needed it is replaced with a 4th and 10 play on the team’s own 35-yard line. The game clock is only 35 seconds and they aim to play games in two and a half hours compared to 3 hours of NFL games by also limiting television timeouts, something I should add will be highly appreciated by fans. Only 2 replays are granted to each team and if games go to overtime after one overtime period it becomes a shootout from the opponent’s 10 with one chance to score. Two games have been played so far and they have been absolutely electric, and the future is looking up for the AAF.

• Football is Back… Again

AP Exams: Fasting edition

• Football is Back… Again

Da Vinci Painting Goes Missing

• Football is Back… Again

Going green: pros and cons of a plant-based diet

• Football is Back… Again

• Football is Back… Again

• Football is Back… Again

• Football is Back… Again

• Football is Back… Again

• Football is Back… Again

• Football is Back… Again

Football is Back… Again