Track and Field Season

Track and Field Season

Photo by Jake Stanley, Louisville Cardinals

Emily Rollins, Staff Writer

Good Morning Talon readers. Here is another update of this year’s East Lake High School track and field season. Last time we checked in with you, we were simply previewing this year’s season. Now, we are right in the middle of the season, in full swing. The girls team has a strong base of athletes this year. The invitational meets have begun, and many athletes are finally beginning to hit amazing times. Eastlake High School even hosted a major invitational meet, allowing 19 different schools to compete on our rather new home track.

East Lake’s finest athletes were also allowed to compete against 33 schools at the Wharton Wildcat Invitational, at Wharton High School. Throughout these past few weeks, many athletes have had the opportunity to show just how much their hard work was paying off and how excited they are for the upcoming season. At the Early Bird Invitational, Eagles took multiple top performances. Nicole Fels, junior, received a championship title in the 300 meter hurdles, running a season best time.  In both the mile and the 3200 meter run, Parker Valby, junior, also received championship titles. On top of that, she also dropped a nation #1 time in the 3200 meter of 10:34 minutes.

The Eagles then headed to their next invitational meet at Wharton, where multiple top performances took place. Parker Valby finally broke 5 minutes in the 1600 meter run, dropping a Florida #3 best time of 4:56 minutes. Additionally, Anna Cincotta, sophomore, took a championship title in the 100 meter hurdles, running a new personal best time of 15.04 seconds. Other hurdlers also helped rack up points, with Olivia Mackenzie, senior, scoring 5th in the 300 meter hurdles running a 49.92 seconds, and Tyller Campbell, senior, placing 7th in the 100 meter hurdles, with a time of 16.80.

The Eagle girls are headed to their next major invitation meet, the annual Ed Wells Invitational which is held at Clearwater High School. The girls are training hard for the next two weeks, and then have a long schedule with many other great racing opportunities such as the IMG Invitational, the Florida Runners meet, and the Pepsi Florida Relays at the University of Florida. Stay updated with East Lake Track and Field’s team to make sure you do not miss out on any major record breaking times this season.

• Track and Field Season

• Track and Field Season

• Track and Field Season

• Track and Field Season

• Track and Field Season

• Track and Field Season

• Track and Field Season

• Track and Field Season

• Track and Field Season

• Track and Field Season

Track and Field Season