Rays’ hot start

The Tampa Bay Rays got off to a good start going 5-2 in their first seven games.

The+Rays+managed+to+take+5+of+the+first+7+games+of+the+season+at+home+and+hit+the+road+for+the+first+time+this+season.+

Rays’ hot start

The Rays managed to take 5 of the first 7 games of the season at home and hit the road for the first time this season.

Cory Fakterowitz, Staff Writer

Thursday, March 28th, marked the start of the season for 28 teams (the other two played in Japan a week prior) and a fresh start for the 29 teams who did not win the World Series last year with everyone knotted up at 0-0. The Tampa Bay Rays and their newly revamped roster with budget players opened up against the Houston Astros, who are heavily considered a top three team in the league. The first game featured a pitching match up that most likely had both teams’ hitters nervous, Blake Snell, the reigning Cy Young winner vs. Justin Verlander, the established veteran, future Hall of Famer, and the runner up Cy Young candidate last season. Unfortunately, Snell gave up three home runs, resulting in the Astro’s five runs and the Rays only run came from Austin Meadows in the first at bat for the Rays. After that Verlander was lights out, proving even at 36 he is still one of the best the league has to offer.

However, after dropping the first game 5-1 the Rays turned things around and now have won 5 straight since that point taking 3 of 4 from Houston and now beating the Rockies twice. Blake Snell in his second start of the season returned to his Cy Young form pitching 7 innings with 13 strike outs and allowing just 2 hits after retiring the first 15 batters of the game in order. The Rays are off to their best start ever through six games and are taking what they can get as the Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees, the two division powerhouses, have gotten off to slow starts at 1-5 and 2-3 respectfully. With this, the media has begun to take notice of the Rays with many media sources putting them in the Top 5 of MLB power rankings. Hopefully this hot start can continue into a strong season as I truly think this team is something special. After taking the first two games of the series from the Colorado Rockies, Wednesday’s game was what I would consider the worst game I’ve ever watched in person at any level of professional baseball. The Rays starter, Charlie Morton, produced six strong shutout innings and our bullpen was lights out until the 11th. Unfortunately, the Rays’ bats went completely dead–more specifically Willy Adames and Mike Zunino, who have only a hit a piece in the first seven games. This resulted in the Rays leaving 13 baserunners on base and failing to score with one out and runners in scoring position four times. Nevertheless, a 5-2 start is not bad at all and the Rays will look to bounce back as they hit the road for their first time this season heading to San Francisco for a reunion with Rays legend Evan Longoria.

• Rays’ hot start

• Rays’ hot start

• Rays’ hot start

• Rays’ hot start

• Rays’ hot start

• Rays’ hot start

• Rays’ hot start

• Rays’ hot start

• Rays’ hot start

• Rays’ hot start

Rays’ hot start