ELHS Wrestling

ELHS Wrestling

Jacob Damboise, Staff Writer

This is an ecstatic team that boasts an amazing coaching staff and championship titles including PCAC runner ups twice, district champions, and many more. ELHS first tournament of the season was this weekend, the Pinellas Pasco Dual Championship. There is a lot that goes into wrestling such as nutrition and the knowledge needed to play the sport. Wrestling has been utilized in the military and the mixed martial arts as a form of fighting as well. Wrestling is a combination of grappling-type techniques such as clinch fighting, throws and takedowns, joint locks, pins and other grappling holds. These techniques are used to gain and hold the superior advantage until either someone is pinned or the match ends.

Collegiate wrestling is the commonly used name of wrestling practiced at the college and university level in the United States. This style, with modifications, is also practiced at the high school and middle school levels, and for younger participants. The term is used to distinguish the style from other styles of wrestling used in other parts of the world. East Lake High school has developed a junior varsity and freshman teams alongside varsity teams. Junior varsity and freshman wrestling teams restrict competitors not only by weight, but also by age and the amount of wrestling a competitor can partake in. College wrestling is astounding, and the training is intense. From ELHS we have numerous state champions such as Coach Waite, who still coach at East Lake. I feel as though this championship team is the closest you could get to a collegiate level wrestling group. The staff is amazing and learning the moves is fun and easy. Coach Marzo currently coaching his 8th year as head coach and substituting with the other head coach Golombek. Coach Golombek was a collegiate wrestler and teaches at East Lake just as all the other coaches as well. Meaning that grades are also important to these coaches and so they take pride that their athletes are student athletes, and that student comes before athlete but not on the coach’s time; in the presence of a coach you are an athlete.

This just shows how dedicated and involved the staff is to lead this team as well as how accomplished the team is. They are motivated and determined. Connor Tootle, Owen Chapman, Kobe Litov and many others show the possibilities of a championship season.