Splashing into the swim season

The East Lake swim team bonding.

Kara Piehl, Staff Writer

Get your goggles on to see this clearly! The East Lake swim team has recently started their season. They are about three meets into this season, and so far, they are looking strong. We are agreeing that this is the best season yet for the team.

East Lake swimming consists of about 25 girls and about 25 guys. The team is led by head coach Rob Sadjak and assistant coach Eric Johnson. The team consists of 13 seniors this season, which is the largest number the team has had yet.

Practices are from 3pm to 5pm every day. We practice a variety of things such as sprinting our strokes, kick, and technique. We are pushed to our maximum potential and encouraged to do our best every practice. The team all bonds as one, and we support each other through every practice. Senior Samatha Wylie says, “Everyone gets along well and we all try to have fun at practice.” Sophomore Matthew Stillwagon agrees and says, “The meets are my favorite because I like to swim against other people and try to beat my best times.”

The season started off with our first meet against Northeast. The girls won with a final score of 149-46, and the boys won as well with a final score of 155-44. There were a lot of East Lake swimmers pulling out their best times, and there was great sportsmanship shown by both teams. Our second meet was against Countryside High School. The girls swam well, but unfortunately took their first loss of the season with a final score of 85-112. The boys, however, fought hard and beat Countryside with a final score of 108-90. Wednesday night, the girls and boys team faced Osceola High School and both teams won. The girls team currently has a record of 2-1, while the boys are at a record of 3-0.

We are now practicing for our championship meet in St. Pete coming up this Saturday. Our coaches have been motivating us to do our best and support us in every way. The season for the East Lake swim team has been great so far, and we are going to keep pushing ourselves and finish strong.